February 12, 2013

Retired Logo and Rusty Banner

In the process of editing and redesigning the Earthenwood website, I decided I need a fresh start when it comes to my logo.  I have been using the one below for over 15 years. It's a great logo, and it has served me well and has been through many changes over the years. My ex-husband designed it all those years ago, which I must admit is part of the reason I would like to retire it. Over the years, I have changed the colors, worked with it in black and white, and twisted and turned it every way I could think.  But that's a long time to look at one graphic, and my business is changing, so I feel the need to change my web style around more often too.
 I made the new banner at the top to use for now.  It might not stay for a long time, but its new and I like it.  It feels fresher and cleaner, lighter and not as heavy handed. I held on so long to the old logo, feeling the need for brand recognition, but maybe the name Earthenwood itself is sufficient.  Maybe even my work is recognizable enough without the branding.
My new site (at least at the moment) is mostly white!  That's a huge departure for me.  I love things that are earthy, dirty, clay covered, rusty.  But I think designwise, I overdo it.  So I kept it mostly white, put a subtle torn edge frame around all of the product photos, and added my rust into the banner.  I used this photo for the background: it's from two huge pieces of rusted metal I found i my backyard a few years ago when tearing down the crazy Kludge fence. The metal is beautiful, rusty, textured, crusty.  I toned it way down for the background of the banner, but I wanted it to be something from my life, not just a stock texture.
I am pleased with the site redesign for now.  I still need to edit the pages, update my show schedule and links, and redo my About Me page. Its a slow process, but it is starting to feel like I have accomplished something and can move onto the next new things, which I have been researching while I edit the old. It's starting to feel like a fresh start, not letting go entirely of the old, but incorporating it into the new in a satisfying way.
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love re-purposing things, even just as elements of a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new clean design; there must be change in the air - I've been playing with my logo for branding purposes too! Hope to make it to Yellow Door someday soon - I want to check it out, and see how it's done - my dream is to be a part of if not RUN a place similar up here in the Lansing area!

    ReplyDelete