November 13, 2012

What's New?

I have been working larger lately.  I switched to red stoneware, which is what I use to make my gift tiles.  I started making some of my goddess tiles again, too, since I have the clay out.  But what I really want is to work with new imagery, not from molds, so I am not repeating the same things over and over so they bore me.  I want something more fresh, images and symbols I can explore, that can feed off of each other.  I started with the tile format, drawing and lightly carving line drawings into slabs of clay. I did a few shallow little plates, but they seemed impractical for hanging.  I did the two large bowls above, which I really enjoyed making, but as an end product, I am not sure how much I will like them, as they will not be functional bowls for eating upon. I am still not sure what format I like best, and I am bouncing between the tile (as it is just a simple blank canvas) and something more functional, to go back to my potter roots.  I am even thinking that if I am going for the blank canvas route, why not just paint or draw on wood or other materials, and not bother with all the steps of ceramics.  On the other hand, clay is what I know and love most, so if I follow that, perhaps I can explore a highly functional format, in the ceramic tradition, like the coffee/teacup. I have always loved cups and they are items that are easily understandable and easier to display and sell than less functional sculpture.  This week's goal is to experiment with a cup or two, to see if that inspires me at all...


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

7 comments:

  1. I love red stoneware and brown as well. I like the larger format that you are working in and the new art! Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, what about having the shallow bowls be ring-bearer bowls? You could poke a couple of small holes near the rim to lace ribbon through to hold the rings. I'm not sure how large in circumference (diameter?) your shallow bowls are. Your style is so very different from folks on Etsy who are making ceramic/porcelain ring-bearer bowls. I'm sure your style would appeal to a segment of brides who aren't into the more "traditional" offerings. Just a thought - or just a ring bowl to set beside the sink for folks who remove jewelry to do dishes. Functional and decorative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have happening here. Too bad about not being functional for food. I don't really know how that works, but it would be nice to figure out how to use them that way. The tags are great! Keep up the good work and stay passionate <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work! I know you didn't discuss them here, but I wanted to let you know I especially enjoy your "Goddess" tiles. Keep up the great work!
    http://ceeceenativecrafts.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bird cage with wings & the new designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fantastic! I love your blank canvas approach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fantastic! I love your blank canvas approach!

    ReplyDelete