October 21, 2012

Step One in Changes at Earthenwood Studio

I have made some decisions recently about my career that I am really excited about. My plan is to focus less on the beading supply end of my business and move more towards gift and jewelry markets, with a focus on  wholesale. This is kind of a scary move, because I have been focused on beads and beaders for over 20 years in some form or other.  But it feels right and it is making me excited about my work again.
 
It is unlikely that I will leave beads entirely, especially while I am making the transition (I have a LOT to learn and research to make this change).  I have had beads in publications for many years and I have a small collection of things that have always been best sellers, so I am going to pare down my offerings to just those.
 
So the first step in this change is to start cutting down some of my bead catalog on my website and not restocking anymore. I made the first wave of cuts, marking things 25% (or more) off and making a CLEARANCE section.  I hope you will check it out and help me with my clean-up process.  I won't be making these items for the site anymore, so get them while they last!
 
Thank you all so much for being so supportive in my beading career.  I am sure I will have much more to blog about as I start making new work and discover new challenges and questions in this transition. I appreciate all your comments and support!


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. Melanie, I wish you all the best with your new endeavors! I'm so glad to hear you are going with your gut and making a change that's best for you. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on and you just know it. I know the position you are in all too well. As I made a similar decision to discontinue making ceramic beads a few years ago(before you really knew me) and focused on making jewelry that I was passionate about. I made that decision for a number of reasons at the time, but long story short, it was one of the best decisions and an important turning point in my career and because of that, I went on to write a jewelry book and I'm happier than I've ever been in my life and career and all I did was stay true to what I was feeling and what I wanted. Anyway, I bet this is such an exciting feeling and time for you. When you let go of something, all it does is open up the door for bigger and better meant for you. I'm excited for you and I hope you keep us updated on what you are up to! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new endeavor! Will be following along here so keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I can't wait to see your jewelry line! If you are considering Wholesalecrafts.com, I'd be happy to share my experience there. It's working out well for me, and I'm certain it would for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just so happy for you! I can feel that this new endeavor will be so satisfying for you and a boon to your creative spirit. While I am sad that you will no longer be offering these pieces it just makes them all the more special in my eyes, like when Erin Siegel stopped making her components. I am rooting for you! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin S,
    Thanks so much for the support! And for being able to relate. I am finding this is a fairly common thing with artists and while I don't wish burnout on anyone, it is good to know I am not alone. Its scary to jump into a new path based on gut feelings, but it has served me well in the past, so I have to trust I can do it again.

    Virginia, great to hear from you! I was JUST looking at Wholesalecrafts yesterday, so I am glad to have someone to talk to when I am ready to launch. Thanks!

    Erin PH,
    Thanks so much, you have always been such a great supporter. I think I am on to bigger and better things now, letting go of the old and comfortable is just so hard sometimes!

    ReplyDelete