August 24, 2012

Saugatuck Rust

 We had a great time on our trip to Saugatuck!  We did lots of antiquing.  For Alex and I, the more rusty and crusty, the better.  We love old tools and peeling paint and RUST!
 My goal was to get a bunch of boxes for my cubby holes back at Rust Belt.  I got a half dozen of these old metal drawers.  They are dark green and there were huge bins full of them.  I hand picked the ones with the best rusty handles.
I couldn't resist picking up ten of these handles too. They are the turny handles from garden hoses and gas valves and stuff.  They look like crusty flowers!  So pretty!
I really love worn paint on metal.  This place had tons of metal just sitting out, weathering, changing, evolving. Maybe it's my Motor City roots and my love of urban ruins, but this is what I am drawn to, even on vacation in a place with beautiful beaches and flower gardens.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Ooohhh. . .love the rustic-y rusty bits you found! Those water handles are really great. Looks like you had some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is that! I would love to go there. Right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete