May 1, 2012

Crystal Clay from Fusion Beads


 I recently received a multi-package of Crystal Clay* from the fine folks at Fusion Beads.  It came with four colors of earthy resin clays, some crystals to imbed in the clay, and a channel bead* to cover in clay.  While I am a die-hard ceramic lover, I always like to see what other kinds of materials are on the market, especially clay-like types of materials.  This is a fun little packet that has a lot of potential.
 The first thing I did was make a bead using the channel bead as the base.  I was able to eyeball just the right amount of material, making two equal sized balls from the two clays that get kneaded together. I used a medium brown for this bead and stamped it with a rubber stamp that I designed.  Then I added the crystals that came with the packet and set them into the clay.  I let it all set for a couple of days and then used some Ranger paint dabbers to add a bit of contrasting color to the impressed areas, wiping the surface with a damp cloth to reveal the clay.
 I also had some pewter bezels and did the same technique with the same stamp and some sparkly stones I had in my collection.  I used two of the other colors of clay for these.
And finally, I used the white clay in a Vintaj bezel that I had domed with a hammer.
 
The clay was really easy to work with, although it is sticky so I recommend using the gloves as the instructions say.  It looks like there are a ton of colors and it has a long setting time, so there is a lot of opportunity for doing more involved things.  I really liked working with the Crystal Clay and look forward to playing with it more someday!
 
*FTC compliance disclosure: the '*' items mentioned in this post credited to Fusion Beads were provided as a promotional gift for 
review or design purposes.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Love these new ideas for the crystal clay....anxiously awaiting the arrival of mine<3

    ReplyDelete