March 2, 2012

A New Leaf


I am on track this month!  Look at me, it's day two and I have already made a new item inspired by my monthly theme of The Forest.  Sometimes, inspiration also comes in the form of using tools and supplies you already have in a new way.  These leaves were made from a ceramic mold that I had used only once.  I had molded the leaf and used the ceramic mold to "shrink it down". As clay shrinks each time it is fired, I can mold an item, fire it, mold it again, and each time it shrinks a bit more. This mold was one of the stages and was only used to make the smaller leaf (so I could have two sizes of large and small matching leaves)  I found the mold today and thought about how well  it might be used as a stamp instead of a mold. "Quite well" is the answer! I love these little links with three holes.  I think I have strayed away from components with more than two holes for a while, but I think it is time to play with variations.  I am looking forward to making these into double colored links and I have some ideas for projects that might lead into a kit (something else I have strayed away from for too long)

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment