January 3, 2012

Mind Flood: Laputa Roots

 "Mind Flood" is a term I stole from a Sam Roberts song and I use it when I am surrounding myself with imagery hoping for some of it to wash over me and inspire me.  This is today's Mind Flood, based around  the dying castle of Laputa from Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky, my current main inspiration.  I love the roots falling down, reaching to take root in soil from the sky.
 This is a gnarly root I dug up during my excavation of my back yard during the Kludge Fence project.  I was particularly proud of ridding the yard of this stubborn root, and I held it high as a trophy for this triumphant pic!
This is a picture I just took of the outside of my house.  I am particularly interested in the top window and the peak of the roof.  That's where my new beading desk is located.  Pretty clouds in a bright blue sky today!

Quick sketch I did yesterday melding the roots of Laputa with my house.  Now that I have some photo reference, I think another sketch is in order.  Also, I want the house to fly, not just hover, so I am thinking wings are in order.  This is a strong image in my head at the moment, I am just not sure what to do with it.  I will probably do a few more sketches.  Maybe I should sketch it right into some clay next time...

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What fantastic inspiration! The house flying reminds me of the movie UP with all the helium balloons attached to it to float. The roots are a strong image. Are they being torn from somewhere? Are they trying to take root someplace else? There is a lot entangled in this image...literally! Love what you are doing, Miss Melanie. You are such an inspiration!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the house with roots.. so much inspiration there, family, house, roots and such.

    I can't see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete