December 4, 2011

Holiday Rush


Imagine Heart Story Necklace
 
Oh, my internet friends, I miss you!  I had such great hopes for posting holiday jewelry and projects, keeping busy online, and doing a lot of blogging.  But alas, life has not worked out that way this year.  If you had told me at the beginning of the year that I would be so busy with local sales, here in Metro Detroit, with our bad economy, that I would forsake my work on my online sales, I would have thought that was crazy.  But indeed, this is the case.  The Rust Belt Market is keeping me very busy this holiday season.  I seem to have hit on a great concept that is affordable and desirable for personalized gift giving, and I am spending not only all of my weekends busy at the market, but much of my weekday time is spent restocking and fulfilling the smaller amount of online business that I steadily receive.  It's really great... I am not complaining!  It's just pretty unexpected and surprising.  I have again needed to be flexible and bend to where the business takes me. When I started here I figured it would be an entertaining little side business, but it has sort of been all consuming.  As always, no matter where the sales come from, I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to make a living from what I love.
 
I am starting to think ahead to next year to figure out how to balance my time tending to my online and brick-and-mortar sales better. 

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I can see the appeal of what you're doing locally--it's the kind of place I would shop at if I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a post about where people find the time to blog, make jewelry, and take care of the tasks of daily life. If you find an answer be sure to share.

    And... congratulations on all of your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your concept is really really neat Melanie. I recently purchased a necklace there from you and I love it. The price point is perfect and people can create thier own unique story from your buffet of vintage treats. Congrats on your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you :) It is wonderful that you are having such success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful reason to be short of time! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just great, I am happy you have so many sales in this economy, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it funny how life turns out? When I started Allegory Gallery, I didn't imagine that it would take up so much of my time and energy. Some days I can't even sleep I start thinking of all the things that need to be done. And it's never like we can rest on our laurels, because once one thing is accomplished, there's always more to take its place... and it's when we feel as though we can finally catch our breaths that things seem to creep under the radar. So I know what you mean. And I do feel fortunate for any bit of business, online or in person.

    Good luck! Know that you're in my thoughts and I wish you much success with all that you do!

    ReplyDelete