October 6, 2011

Etsy Boot Camp Week 2


Ok, another week of Etsy Boot Camp has passed and I wanted to check in to the blog, since I am using it as a virtual Boot Camp Buddy.  To be honest, I have had a very busy week, so I only poked around briefly at the to-do lists.  But I did look and have been thinking about some of the things and how they apply to me.
 
The main article I read, Stocking up for the Holidays was informative, but I had a hard time applying it to me in some ways.  It was about trends and products that will be big sellers this season, and I am not looking to develop new products at this point.  I am trying to get my existing product line in my shop and am working on doing that and marketing it.  Although I am planning some new ornaments and the article did give me the idea for some DIY kits, which would be good both at Rust Belt and on Etsy.  The article did make me think about my gift packaging, which is something I recently developed for Rust Belt (see the picture above).  I think I will take a better picture of an individual box and keep some supplies for my shipping area, and offer it as an add-on for holiday sales.  I am thinking of also offering a Priority Mail add-on as well, for rushed shoppers.  
 
Another useful idea from the article is the use of personalization.  Now, part of what gets me into trouble sometimes is offering too many options, so I am going to be careful with this one.  But I do think a necklace made with my QWERTY charms, available in any initial, would be fun and easy for me to do.
 
Some other things that this week's articles and post made me think about are:  
-getting matching sets into the shop (earring, necklace, bracelet)
-getting earrings and bracelets in the shop, period.  I seem to be focused on necklaces at the moment
-working on a variety of price points, particularly the higher end ones, as I have the under $50 covered
-working on guy and kid friendly jewelry
-marketing better towards gifts for particular types of people (readers, beaders, writers, bikers, etc)
 

The last item of note for me this week in the Boot Camp emails is the Etsy search ads.  I don't know how I feel about this.  I have felt for quite some time now that Etsy will only work well for me if I do my own external marketing and bring my own people to my shop there.  I am sure there are quite a few people who find me through Etsy, but I am really not sure how many, and I haven't really paid much attention for figuring out more.  But I guess there are some big changes and new ways to check stats, so I will be taking a look at those.  I don't like the idea of spending any more money there to promote within, but I am going to give the search ads a try for a few weeks.  
 
That's my Boot Camp Update!  Now that my big wholesale order is out and in a few days, my bead show is over, I hope to really focus on getting more work in the Etsy Galleria and getting into gear for the holidays!


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that is hilarious! LOVE these root guys! If you have a smart phone, you HAVE to put ghost radar on it so you can check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is very beautiful art picture i likes this and very good details about it Business logo design

    ReplyDelete
  3. really just to good i am loving it dam good

    ReplyDelete