September 1, 2011

Book Review: Hot Connections


I recently received this gorgeous, metal project filled book, Hot Connections Jewelry: The Complete Sourcebook of Soldering Techniques by Jennifer Chin. I was impressed with the quality of the jewelry photos on the cover so I was very pleased to find that the book is full of more great pictures.  Hot Connections is full of all the great basic beginner information like what you need to set up a studio and basic techniques like sawing, drilling, soldering, and riveting.  The illustrations and photos are clear and concise. Beyond the basics are more advanced techniques like patinas, stone setting, and mixing metals.  All of the jewelry examples in this book, including the ones in the galleries, all have a great clean, crisp, modern style that would appeal to a fashionable artisan looking to learn more about jewelry making.  Just looking through it made me itch for some of the tools and techniques that I used to employ in my days as a metalsmith, and I was inspired to learn even more techniques while browsing the pages.  I would recommend this book to any beginner or intermediate metalsmith who likes a contemporary aesthetic and clean look.
 
*FTC compliance disclosure: the book mentioned in this post was provided as a promotional gift for review or design purposes from Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have this book on my very long wish list and it's nice to see posigive reviews before I fork over the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Miss Melanie! I have not picked up that book yet. I might just for the eye candy!

    P.S. I just got my issue of Bead Trends September... several Earthenwoods pieces in there including my piece from the design team in January! Be sure to check out a copy (and if you would like one I have an extra!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like just what I need to spur me to working more with metals. I like the fact that it starts from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete