August 16, 2011

Black and White


 Just unloaded a kiln that was almost entirely black pewter and bare white porcelain pieces.  These are some new things for Bead Fest, coming in a few days, omg!  They will likely end up on Etsy or the website in the next couple of weeks.  Above, a classic compass rose graphic.  For those of us who don't know where we are, which end is up, or where we are going... sort of like how I feel today.
 Another clock design, so now I have two!  Variety is nice, isn't it?
I am loving the skullies!  I did some in mostly white and some in black and white.  I am digging the tombstone shape, too.  While I plan to do a bunch of designs for Halloween, the skull to me is a great everyday symbol.  To me, it is a Memento Mori symbol. Not so much celebrating death, but remembering my own mortality.  I have spent too much time on this earth feeling guilt, shame, regret, sadness, anger, and a host of other crummy things.  Seeing a skull is a reminder that we all die, so dammit, we have to make the most of this life while we are here.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. Crushing on the black and white compass rose, Miss Melanie! Hope you all have a blast at the Bead Fest. So wish that I lived anywhere near there. Take good care!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new black & white pieces are fantastic!!! I just love how you are thinking about the skull as a symbol!!!! I so agree!!!
    Hugs!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Amen Sister!" I like the idea of a skull representing mortality and not death. I love the clock design. Variety is the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the skull pendants too. Halloween is in all the catalogs I am getting and it inspires me to make something for it. Now where are my Day of the Dead beads? Celebrating someone's life is a great thing to do!

    ReplyDelete