June 17, 2011

Rust Belt Bead Extravaganza



I have been anticipating this weekend for months now.  I have teamed up with my buddy Lisa Grix to create a bead lover's paradise at the Rust Belt Market this weekend. I met Lisa many years ago when she had a store in Royal Oak called SRO Beads.  I would visit the store, I taught a few classes there, and she sold my beads.  Lisa always had the coolest beads: vintage, ethnic, artisan, unusual.  She closed the store a few years ago, burdened by a Michigan's economy, a fate common for most of the bead stores that had been open in metro Detroit. When I told her about Rust Belt, she was immediately excited, and that got me even more excited!  I knew I could put out a small display of my own handmade beads, but without help, I couldn't do what I really dreamed and have more of that old cool bead store style space to work and teach in.  She was eager to bring out her old stock and bring it back to the beaders, and to continue teaching and showing her awesome art dolls. Now we have the space to do all these things on the weekend at Rust Belt without having to commit to the confines of a brick and mortar store.  Our two spaces are distinct and independent but will also work together.

I jumped for joy and squeed when we were offered the above space, complete with a vintage post office box slot display that we can use to fill with stock!  I have the right side, she has the left (with the printers drawers) and we will use a small table for classes. This will be a different Rust Belt experience for both of us, but we are excited by the challenge and to get some new beaders hooked on learning a new craft!
 
I will take more pictures of the space filled in, but I wanted to show you the bare bones potential that we faced this morning.
 

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting for you both! You will have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! What a great set up I can see why your excited!

    ReplyDelete