June 22, 2011

Detroit Diesel



I brought some of my Gear Nut beads to my Rust Belt bead booth last weekend, partially to fit the theme of some of my industrial, gear-shaped beads and partially to fill in some spaces in my sorry looking inventory after all the activity at Bead & Button.  The Gear Nut is a little bit of a tricky bead, since it has the center hole, so I wanted to string up another inexpensive, stackable style pendant necklace to show people how it can be used and I came up with this Detroit Diesel pendant.  The pendant features a black faux suede cord that loops through the central hole, also capturing a large gear within the lark's head knot that holds it onto the cord.  From the gear, I was able to add more gears and a spinner (which can be easily customized to use a variety of charms to suit one's desires).  I like the graphic masculinity of this necklace!  I think this is a good and simple solution for this bead.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment