May 1, 2011

Studio Tour Sunday: Rustbelt, Rustbelt, Rustbelt!


Hmm, sometime between my afternoon nap and dinner yesterday, these gear pendants happened.  Maybe I was still drowsy from my nap, or delirious from hunger, but I don't even remember making them.  Yet here they are, over 70 gear pendants, needing to be sanded, on my dining room table.  Maybe I have some steampunk bead fairies in the house.  Wouldn't surprise me.


I spent most of yesterday getting more of my display items together for The Rustbelt Market opening this Friday night (the market will be open this Saturday and Sunday).  It was a pretty nice day out, so I did some work outside: staining, spray-painting, waxing wood, cleaning motor oil off of old gears.  I made the above stands for the various waxed cording I will have for sale.  They came together fairly easily, combining the old spiral stands that I already had with some rusty machine parts that were given to me from a friend.  They are cool looking, functional, and give me some vertical elements to my booth... a nice contrast to the table full of tin boxes of beads.  Today I am working on finishing some of these displays and signage, and I will probably go visit the Rustbelt and drop some things off and get a better idea of the space.

That's the news from my studio. Here are some links to my fellow bead blogger...check out what they have going on in their studios:
 
A Bead A Day
Do you know "the bead" when you see it? Lisa came across one of those in a craft-store mix recently and couldn't walk away! 
 
About.com Jewelry Making
Vintage style is mixed with modern alternatives in this new necklace tutorial. 
 
Art Bead Scene
The Art Bead Scene offers up a few business tips. 
 
Barbe Saint John - Saints & Sinners
Barbe reviews Jen Cushman's "Explore Create Resinate" Book. 
 
Beading Arts
Don't miss your chance to win giveaway package #2 from Cherry Tree Beads! 
 
Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmi has some eye candy featuring scarves and a big bauble. 
 
Cindy Gimbrone, The Lampwork Diva
The week, Cindy's tangled up in a re-do of her studio. 
 
Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie uses an unusual find of vintage leather postcards to craft a leather cuff bracelet 
 
Resin Crafts!
Carmi turns a feathered butterfly in a pendant with resin.  

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
In this A to Z blogging challenge entry, Jean is surprised by "W" for a Wonderful thing which happens to her!
 
The Bead Dreamer
Vintage inspired jewelry components and a vintage pin from her grandmother come together in this special necklace from Charlene 
 
The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Andrew gives a heads up about a great giveaway from Lark Jewelry & Beading!  


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. I loooooooooooooooooove your display units, so wonderful. I want to visit Michigan in the worst way!!!

    ReplyDelete