May 7, 2011

Response Saturday: Primitive Pewter Collaboration

 Something new that came out of the studio this week is this series of "Primitive Pewter" pendants.  I call them primitive not only because they are pretty rough and crude, but because we used a fairly primitive casting technique to create them. They were a collaboration between me and Alex.  I made most of the molds, he cast the pewter.  I love squishing clay, he loves setting fire to metal.
 The molds were made by rolling out a thick slab of porcelain, pressing a blank rectangular shape into the clay, and then adding decoration using found objects, mostly pieces of hardware.  I had to think inside out and in reverse when visualizing them, so I stuck to basic shapes and patterns, keeping them simple and industrial themed.
 I sanded, dried, and fired all the molds and then Alex poured a little bit of pewter in each one.  There were some problems with bubbles, so we need some more experimenting to refine the process, but I love the primitive effect just the way it is.
Before I handed off the molds to Alex, I pressed them in porcelain.  I like the way these look too!  I will probably take them back from him and produce a bunch of these before giving them back, just in case the molds break during the metal casting process, which they are very likely to do eventually.  I like the idea of having the same item in two different materials.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. these look wonderful - and i really like that collaborative part... hoping you show your glazed porcelain finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this collaboration!? Will these pewter lovelies be for sale too? I think that is a great idea!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cool Melanie. I love how you think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete