April 27, 2011

Rustbelt Display Progress

Yesterday was a rare sunny and non-rainy day, so I took advantage of it for some of the display projects I have been working on for Rustbelt Market.  Last week, I showed some of the progress I made on my rusted wood display, but I wasn't done yet!  Yesterday Alex helped me add some copper tubing to the back of the display so it extended above.  I will use this to hang some long ribbons that I will be offering for sale.  They are ribbons made from recycled saris and are incredibly beautiful, so I wanted a special display space for them.  We just used copper tubing and plumbing parts, which I heated with a propane torch to give it more of an aged look.



In addition to the copper tubing work, I did some spray painting and staining of some old wooden displays.  They were looking a little beat up, which I like, but I wanted them to be a little more consistent and dark in color.  I am not even sure what these will contain, but I will find something to put in them!  I am thinking they will hold some Green Girl beads and other artist beads.
Just to give you an idea of the look that the Rustbelt is looking for and what I am working towards, here is one of the owners, Tiffany Best, with a mock booth display.  I love it so much!  I am eager to get in there next week to scope out my space and solidify my plans a bit.  I am going to be at the Market for opening weekend on May 7-8 and will return mid-June for at least a four weekend run.  So I have some time to tweak my display after opening weekend, after I get a feel for the space and the customers.
I love all the marketing stuff they are doing, too!  Love the gears!  There is a huge handmade gear sign up on the building now, which is really cool to see when I drive by.  Such a great change from the abandoned Old Navy store that has been there since as long as I can remember.
I have a few more pieces of rusty goodness out in the yard, hoping to be used in a display somehow.  There are two big car or motorcycle parts that are begging to be stands of some kind.  Also a great rusty shelf that was buried in my yard for some 15 years.  I might just use that on the table for some height and texture.
Although I am tempted to hang it on the wall... the underneath of the shelf is particularly beautiful to me, with the contrast of pale blue-green enamel and rust.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. you and i are working with similar things - very very beautiful - and such an inspiring display...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you have written here and pictured, I find terribly exciting! I love the idea of the year round market! The display using the old TV's is priceless! I predict much success for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the display things - very earthy. I would think they would fit in well with the market. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete