April 30, 2011

Response Sunday: Gilder's Paste and Propellers

This week, I had a little time in the beading studio and made a few things with the wonderful metal bits I got from B'Sue Boutiques.  Since they are carrying some of my beads, I wanted to make some samples that incorporated both of our products.  I made three pieces and I wanted to show this one today because it involved using a new material: Guilder's Paste.  I used the Tulip Red paste to color the fox stamping in this necklace.  Guilder's Paste is a really neat product with lots of possibilities.  It comes in a tin and is very similar to shoe polish.  I used a cloth and a cotton swab to apply it to the fox, but in the future I think using a paintbrush with a little bit of paint thinner would work better.  I learned this tip from watching one of B'Sue's many videos!  Check out the B'Sue You Tube channel for lots of informative info.
Another thing that I think was innovative in this design was the use of findings in unusual ways.  First, the V shaped pendant base started out as an album corner (like the kind you would use on a box or photo album).  I just looped the ends around to attach them to the rings.  I also wanted to add the fox stamping, but it had no holes or loops.  I didn't want to just glue it in place, I wanted prongs of some sort.  I discovered that the small brass propellers (so cool!) were very easy to manipulate and once I figured out the placement, they worked perfectly to secure the fox head in place

I decided to call this piece Fox Princess, because she looks like my foxy dog Zoey, and she is clearly a princess.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. You are so very inventive! What a clever use for that little corner, and those propellers! I have heard of this guilder's paste before. Now you make me want to get some.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin
    P.S. She most certainly is a princess. I think that regal pup needs a tiara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Gilder's paste all the time - it is a fantastic product. The golds and bronzes are unparalled in their variety.

    ReplyDelete