April 22, 2011

Renewed Design: Sugar Skull Charms

 I am very pleased to announce that after many requests, I have finally added the Sugar Skull collection back to my Earthenwood website.  I have been meaning to get these restocked for months and months, but I was resisting it and dreading it.  I think it is because they are very time consuming...at least the way I used to do them was time consuming.  I gave them a little redesign which will make them so much easier to make, and now I love them again!
 The redesigns made them slightly less ornate.  For example both Flores and Frida have a few less dots and flowers.  But I think they retain the essence of the design... cute and colorful and a little bit creepy!
 The main change is in the balance of black and white.  The old ones were almost entirely white, but the crevasses were glazed with a deep jet black.  It was always hard for me to get that black into the cracks and then get the entire surface cleaned up and white again.  So I decided to keep them mostly black and just wipe away the top surface.  This also makes it so I don't have to put an additional layer of clear over the whole thing, letting the white clay create the contrast by itself.  Diablo got a bit of a change to make him easier for me to glaze, too. I hope everyone likes these changes, because they make me happy (and willing to keep making these!)

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. these are terrific and i love frida! glad you found a way to balance your time and the requests...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frida is awesome, and I love sugar skulls -- my customers just don't get them at all. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. They still look great after the changes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. Where are you selling them?
    so long, linnplous@gci.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody! Linn, you can find them on my website here: http://www.earthenwoodstudio.com/product/sugar-skulls

    ReplyDelete