April 14, 2011

Day of the Ice Cream Cone


One morning last week, I woke up to a vision of ice cream cones dancing in my head!  It ended up consuming most of my day.  I have found that when a mood like this strikes, I should run with it if I can, and so I did.  Here are the steps I used in making these pendants:
I started with my cup of coffee, some sketches, and some tools.  I wanted to make the pendants with a base of a textured slab which I wanted to cut out from the slabs, so I made a cookie cutter.
Here is the sketch and the finished cutter.
I rolled out some slabs with my awesome new slab roller.  Then I textured them with a variety of texturing mats and then used the cutter to cut out the ice cream cones.
I used a bottle of porcelain trailing slip to make squishy blobs that looked like ice cream on top of the cones.  I spread the slip onto the clay with my fingers and it looked and felt like cake icing... it was so hard not to lick my fingers, lol.


After the slip set up a little, I poked the holes with a coffee stirrer. When the cones were dry, I wet sanded the edges so they were soft and rounded.  That day, I made about 70 ice creams!  I was on a roll!  Of course, the entire ceramic process is not as instantly gratifying as that day's claywork was, so it took several days of drying, firing, glazing, and firing to get the finished product done.  I really love them.  And now I want ice cream. :)

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

8 comments:

  1. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so ding-dang cute! I love seeing the process behind the scenes. Makes me appreciate them all the more.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously cool - love seeing the process from design through implementation. The charms are darling!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are super-cute! I love how realistic the ice-cream texture looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so those are just sweet little ice cream cones! Love 'em! (and am now thinking that 9am is too early for ice cream...nuts! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're ice cream cones are really lovely !!! I love the textures and the colours !! Nice post !! Have a lovely weekend ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chomp! Chomp! Totally yum-a-rific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm lactose intolerant, but these are absolutely yummy! Now this is what I call a "sweet dream."

    ReplyDelete