March 3, 2011

Getting Organized

I am making great strides in getting the Earthenwood Website inventory organized.  I love having everything from the website available and ready to ship instead of my old method of making everything to order.  It does take a bit of organization, though.  Today I went to CR Hill, a local jeweler's supply place near me, to get some of the trays for my storage unit.  The place is not fancy, but they have lots of stuff.  I took some pictures to show you.  Above are the plastic trays and pads that go into jeweler's trays and displays.  There are so many kinds!
Here is the wall of enameling supplies.  Which reminds me to find the couple of vials of enamel that I have from college and experiment with them for a Response Saturday post.  I would like to try to torch fire them.  Maybe in the spring when it is not so cold and we can play with the torches in the garage...
Ooh shiny rolling mills.  Want.
More stuff!  Ring and pendant boxes, paper bags, velvet pouches... packaging stuff.
They have all sorts of tools and chemicals that I have used in the past when I studied metalsmithing.  I don't really have much use for most of these things anymore, but Alex does, so it is fun to revisit.  I pretty much love looking at tools and stuff, even if I don't use them.  You never know when you might need something, so it's good to at least have a working understanding of what things do and where to get them, just in case...
Speaking of organizing things, I have been spending some time (more than I would like, heh) on making my blog all pretty.  I added some tags at the top and love the way they look (Thanks Lorelei for helping me figure that out)!  I am working on filling in pages and stuff.  I don't really know html and it gets way over my head most of the time, but of course I want things to look a certain way. Today, I have been fighting with my blog roll, which I put on this Favorites page with a few little icons and banners, but I can't see it.  Can you?  

So forgive my mess as I continue to work on it.  I can only handle an hour or so a day. It's always a work in progress, I suppose. 

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

15 comments:

  1. It's been ages since I've been in CR Hill (we're talking 1994ish), but I recognized immediately where you must have been when I saw the photos, before even reading the post. I LOVED that place. :) Thanks for a great flashback memory! And I hope that the organizing is going well - it takes time, don't beat yourself up over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I used to go there when I was studying jewelry in high school (in the early 90's) and also in college. It hasn't changed much in all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your buttons look so good! I'm off to click em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lorelei! And thank you so much for talking me through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie>i just picked up my spring issue of 'Stringing" in my opinion best of all the mags, and i just love the bird & link charm on pg.35 in the necklace " a little bird told me" as well a the cute little owl & charms in the "nesting owl"necklace on pg 47 just so cute the spring issue has many wonderful inspirations ttfn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you'll have so much fun torch firing! Barbara Lewis has a great system. The cool thing about her's is that the torch is stationary. Steven James has a fun workshop available online at Beaducation on torch firing enamels... but his uses a torch that moves. So lots of different options.

    I'm really excited about getting back into enamels. The last time I did them (not counting my recent workshop with Barbara and the Steven James online class) is in college. So it'll be good to get back into it.

    I also wanted to start doing some ceramic sculpture again. We'll see. Are you and Diane ever going to teach your porcelain techniques? It'd be interesting to see how you work in clay. I sort of want to do bisque casting. I've been talking with Cynthia about it too since she wants to make dolls. There's this one artist, The Enchanted Doll, who makes some really beautiful work. Oh and what about your brother? Is he teaching now or just making work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love wandering around in that store! Dreamy (i also love office supply stores too, weird). Love the new look. It has a clean streamlined look.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I love office supply stores too! I didn't mention my excitement about getting a label maker!

    Andrew, thanks for those suggestions, I will have to check out the Beaducation workshop! I am excited to see what you do with the enamel! I had a class about a decade ago in the more traditional kiln enamels and that is not as exciting as the new stuff I have been seeing!

    YAY! I am glad to hear that you and Cynthia are into ceramics! I will probably not teach a formal class, but I would love to hang out with you guys and do some informal work/play sessions. We should do an art camp thing sometime!

    Jeremy is really good at casting... he just finished teaching a slipcasting workshop at Pewabic in Detroit and is teaching at UofM, but he is also making new work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't use many tools, but I love looking at tools, and really supplies of any sort. It is good to know what is out there and who offers the best price and the widest selection so I am prepared when, and if, I am ready to buy.

    I noticed the new buttons at the top of your blog earlier- they look great. The button for your blog roll works. Now, you need to add a button for your blog on your other pages so you can return without the back button and anyone who gets to your other pages via a link can see your blog. (Sorry, I am a bit of a geek at heart.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. KJ thanks for testing it. The blog roll is still not showing up for me, sadly. The top banner takes you to the home page of the blog, actually. Maybe a little "home" graphic in that would make it more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, oh, oh, that store would be so dangerous to my bank account -- I can almost smell the aroma of my credit card smoking from overuse! You'd think my workspace would be a whole lot more organized, for as much as I love this kind of thing, but sadly, no...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Melanie, Your blog tags look great. I just redesigned my blog, and after a few headaches I think I got it looking the way I visualized it in my head! So, if you need any help shot me an email.
    Good luck organizing!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just came back to this post and retested. (Told you I was a bit of a geek.)

    Your banner takes you back to the blog except from the Website and Earthen Oxide pages.

    I can still see your blog roll. I use Firefox. Not all browsers act the same way. Websites should be tested in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Internet Explorer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very useful blog - thanks for adding pictures!

    ReplyDelete