February 7, 2011

Studio Tour Sunday: Penned Up

oops, I didn't get to posting the weekly links yesterday as I was recovering from not feeling well.  So I have two blog posts today.  Before the dreaded back ache and food poisoning, I spent a while working on the pendant above.  I recently received a shipment of vintage pen nibs and wanted to experiment with one to make a pendant.  One of the nibs was stained with emerald ink (all the rest are black) so I figured that one was the one to start with.  I punched a hole in it and riveted it to some stamped and painted brass.  The hole I punched in the nib was odd... the metal is very thin and springy and it shattered a bit, so I was never able to get it centered.  I kept adding more things to make it feel more even, and I think the end result is a little busy, but in a good baroque way of "more is more".  I think future experiments will focus on being a little more streamlined.

This pendant is listed for sale in my Etsy Galleria.
So that is one of the new things I was able to work on last week.  Let's check in with my blogger friends to see what they have had going on in their studios:


A Bead A Day
Are you wishing for spring sunshine and bright new flowers? Lisa found some swarovski crystals to help her dream in sparkle-vision! 

About.com Jewelry Making
Break the ice and get a warm welcome at the Jewelry Making Forum. 
 
Art Bead Scene
Going to the bead shows in Tucson this year? Here are a few tips for you take along. 
 
Beading Arts
The Bead Journal Project is starting up again for its fourth year! Check out what Cyndi has decided to make each month... 
 
Beads & Books
Michelle shares some color ideas for Valentine's Day jewelry and a link to the "Bead My Valentine" contest at Happy Mango Beads. 
 
Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmis shows off some button jewelery necklaces from CHA! 
 
Cindy Gimbrone, The Lampwork Diva
The Wednesday Wire becomes the Tuesday Tangle. Cindy shows off some funky retro wire earrings.  
 
Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie experiments with enamel spray paint on filigree to create some great colorful components 
 
Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
A recent bead shopping trip to NYC leaves lorelei Tired but Inspired! 
 
Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
jean reposts a review of a book she finds exceptional--all about Art Nouveau! 
 
The Bead Dreamer
Inspired by winter’s frosty tones, Charlene selects beads in a chilly color palette.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment