February 20, 2011

Studio Tour Sunday: Dr Sketchy

Yesterday, three of my friends and I went to our first Dr. Sketchy Detroit event!  This is a really fun thing where people gather and pay a small fee to draw a live model.  Usually it is some kind of kick-ass punk rock chick, derby roller girl, burlesque dancer or other unusual performer and it is a real treat. Outside of art-schools, it can be really difficult to find this kind of opportunity, so Dr Sketchy events are a really great resource for artists.
It has been many, many years since I did any figure drawing.  I was required to do a year of still life and a year of figure drawing in college.  I tend to be more three dimensionally inclined and while I put in my time in my drawing classes and did the best I could, I didn't love it and I usually struggled with it.  Once my requirements were done, I put my pencils and charcoals away and haven't really missed them.  This was a fun way to explore this skill that I haven't accessed in a long time, and I had a great time doing it!

The two models we had yesterday were different from the models I had in school.  In school, we had nude models, and these gals had fun lingerie and props and tattoos, which made it really interesting!  I liked the lines and shapes that the ink and the lingerie made and sketched some full body drawings.  But as I became a bit warmed up, I seemed to focus on the faces, which was always very challenging to me.  I am pleased with what I drew in this session, even though my goal was only to "make marks on paper".

That's one of the things going on in my studio this week!  Check out what is happening in the studios of some of my blogging friends:
 
A Bead A Day
A 1 minute jewelry project? Lisa shares a swarovski component that can be used to make a SPARKLY ring! 
 
About.com Jewelry Making
For gemstone fanatics, earrings are the perfect way to enjoy fast projects that include all their favorite stones. 
 
Art Bead Scene
Art Bead Scene loves a wall of beads. Stop by and see if you don't love it too! 
 
Beading Arts
Have you heard of a hair fascinator? Come see what Cyndi put together with a handful of Swarovski crystals and a length of thin gauge wire! 
 
Beads & Books
Michelle shares a behind-the-scenes look at her work doing technical edits on a jewelry magazine. 
 
Carmi's Art/Life World
A new bronze pendant from Artbeads.com inspired this new necklace from Carmi. 
 
Cindy Gimbrone, The Lampwork Diva
Cindy shares her "DO" for the week. Come take a look! 
 
Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie explores the old craft of paper quilling in an experiment combining the technique with resin for jewelry 
 
Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Jean reviews a comforting and beautiful book for beaders which she herself has often turned to as a "bridge over troubled waters": Beading for the Soul, by Deborah Cannarella 
 
The Bead Dreamer
Book Review: Steel Wire Jewelry. Love alternative materials and modern, whimsical jewelry design? This book is a must have. Project one is an earring wardrobe! Read the review in full. 
 
The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Andrew gets in touch with his inner "Calder" and hammers some wire with Kate McKinnon and Dustin Wedekind.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment