February 19, 2011

Response Saturday: Greek Pottery and Quilled Paper

This week I have had several new and inspirational experiences!  The trip to the Kelsey Museum on Thursday included seeing these wonderful designs on ancient Greek pottery.  The fan and scroll like designs reminded me of the semi- successful experiments I did last week with quilled paper, so I decided to use this week to explore a little further.
I made some long fan shapes and wide spirals with black quilling paper and set the pieces onto a coppery frame pendant with a dictionary entry for "scroll" underneath.  I haven't poured the resin yet, but I wanted to share this picture of it before I finish it sometime this week.
Today I spent some time with my buddies doing something I haven't done in ages: figure drawing!  We had lots of fun and I think I will post some pictures of what I drew tomorrow.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you interpreted this inspiration. I can't wait to see the finished result! And your drawings too! I am woefully behind in my drawing class. With being sick and then playing catch up there just hasn't been time to draw. I am hoping to get back to that this week!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting these 'archeological' posts :-D
    And your interpretation of the greek pottery is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's taking inspiration and interpretation to an awesome level. I could see a whole series based on Greek pottery and quilling....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hardly wait to see who it turns out. Love those graceful lines.

    ReplyDelete