February 26, 2011

Response Saturday: Bead Soup and EarthenOxide

 Welcome to my post about the Blog Soup Blog Party!  On Saturdays, I usually have my own blog series called Response Saturdays, which I show something new that I have experimented with during the week.  I am combining posts to show you what I made with my Bead Soup beads AND something brand new that I have to announce!  But first, about Bead Soup and my soup ingredients:
 
What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending a focal, a special clasp, and some coordinating spacers or beads. Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not.


Here's what I made!
 I used almost all of the supplies that my partner Melissa Rediger of MJRbeads sent me. I added her beads to the *something new* that I was talking about above: a Collage Key and Shimmer Keyplate from my new website EarthenOxide! I am super excited to have this new website for the growing collection of mixed media items that I have been crafting from vintage, antique, and found materials.  It's fun to take a break from my usual ceramics, and now I have a special place to put these handmade goodies.
I substituted a purple silk ribbon for the gold cord and I left out just a few beads, but everything else fell together pretty easily.  I especially love the handcrafted glass bead focal and accents that Melissa made!  Check out Melissa's website and blog and facebook fan page to learn more about her.

Thanks so much for visiting!  I hope you will take an opportunity to visit my new EarthenOxide website, and leave me a comment to tell me what you think! 

There are over 200 members participating in the Bead Soup Blog Party!  Here are their blogs:

1.  Lori Anderson, Pretty Things
2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 
3.  Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 
4.  Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio
5.  Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations
6.  Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs
7.  Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things
8.  Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe
9.  Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto
10.  Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio

11.  Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas
12.  Rachel Walsh, Balanced Crafts
13.  Marian Hertzog, M's Place
14.  Mary McGraw, MK's Musings
15.  Sarabeth Burke, Chronicles of Sarita
16.  Deci Worland, Gem Trails 
17.  Erin Prais-Hintz, Treasures Found
18.  Laura Zeiner, Stick Lizard Designs
19.  Kristin Latimer, MJM Jewelry Designs
20.  Cathryn Brooks-Williams, Chile Cats

21.  Holly Westfall, Silver Rose Designs
22.  Janna Harttgen, Palima-Lim 
23.  Libby Leuchtman, Libby Leu
24.  Rebecca Anderson, Songbeads
25.  Deb Hunter, Living On Air
26.  Diana Ptaszynski, Suburban Girl Studio
27.  Jennifer VanBenschoten, VanBeads 
28.  Margot Potter, The Impatient Crafter
29.  Cyndi Lavin, Beading Arts
30.  Courtney Breul, Beads by Breul

31.  Stefanie Teufel, Stefanie's Sammelsurium
32.  Patricia Gasparino, My Life Under the Bus
33.  Tari Khars, Pearl and Pebble
34.  Kristi Bowman-Gruel, Kristi Bowman Design
35.  Jayne Capps, Mama's Got to Doodle
36.  Becky Fairclough, Chameleons Designs
37.  Evie and Beth McCord, EB Bead & Metal Works
38. Lynne Bowland, Islandgirl's Insights
39.  Barbara Lewis, Painting With Fire
40.  Lorelei Eurto, Inside the Studio

41.  Stacy Hartis, Sissy & Jack's
42.  Jennifer Cameron, Glass Addictions
43.  Marcie Abney, La Bella Joya 
44.  Johanna Rhodes, Fire Phoenix Creations
45.  Nan Emmett, Spirit Rattles 
46.  Melissa Mesara, One Eared Pig  
47.  Amanda Davie, Articulations
48.  Cherin Poovey, Lanyard Lady
49.  Virginia Joste, ViviBijoux

50.  Andrew Thornton, The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
51.  Lori Dorrington, Lori's Glassworks
*** You are here! 52.  Melanie Brooks, Earthenwood Studio Chronicles***
53.  Kate Gardenghi, Tropical Blonde
54.  Serena Trent, PinkIce Jewel's Blog
55. Malin de Koning, Beading by Malin de Koning
56.  Shai Williams, Shaiha's Ramblings
57.  Francy Inman, 8 Second Studio 
58.  Amy Freeland, Copper Diem
59.  Lisa Liddy, Joolz By Lisa

60.  Sandi Lee James,  Do Be Do Bead Do
61.  Mary Harding, Mary Harding Bead Blog 
62.  Stacey Curry, Star Hitched Wagon
63.  Leslie Gidden, Mad Maggie Designs
64.  Elisabeth Auld, Beads For Busy Gals
65.  Niky Sayers, Silver Nik Nats
66.  Linda Djokic, Lutka and Co.
67.  Tracy Bell, Copper, Glass, and Recycled Trash
68.  Laurel Steven, Rue's Daftique
69.  Ingrid McCue, Wrapped In Silver

70.  Birgitta Lejonklou, Create With Spirit
71.  Diana Hawkey, Diana Hawkey
72.  Norma Turvey, Moonlit Fantaseas
73.  Jeanette Ryan, Jeanette Blix
74.  Jackie Ryan, Silver Lodge Gems
76.  Debbie Goering, Prairie Emporium 
77.  Valerie Norton, Hot Art 
78.  Jana Trupovniece, Stories of the Secret Garden  
79.  Amy Severino, Amy Beads 

80.  Emma Thomas, Fred Beans Nook
81.  Karen Zanco, Everyday Gypsy
82.  Suzann Sladcik Wilson, Beadphoria
83.  Janet McDonald, Singing Woods
84.  Dana James, Dana's Jewelry Designs
85.  Kristina Johansson, Wild Roses and Blackberries
86.  CJ Bauschka, CJ Bauschka
87.  Angela Barribea, Re: Angela Rae
88. Marcy Lamberson, Studio Marcy
89.  Tanya Floyd, Glass Migrations

90.  Lisa Kavanaugh, Beading Bliss
91.  Sue Hodgkinson, Hello Gorgeous 
92.  Jenni Connolly, Jenni's Bead 
93.  Nally Parfyonova, Nally's Creations 
94.  Karyn White, Releases By Rufydoof  
95. Emanda Johnson, Artemisia Studio 
96.  Sandy Richardson, Sandy's Coloring Box
97.  Cindy Dolezal,  Cindy Dolezal Designs 
98.  Stacie Stamper, Park Avenue
99. Mallory Hoffman, For the Love of Beads

101.  Nicole Valentine-Rimmer, N. Valentine Studio
102.  Jacinta Meyers, Jamberrysong's Creations 
103.  Charlene Gary, Gray Girl Studios
104.  Rubiee Hayes, Glitter and Keys Galore
105.  Marge Beebe, Rock Creek Creations
106.  Elizabeth Freeman, Turquoise Sky
107.  Shelby Foxwell, Sundown Bead Designs Rhetoric
108.  Lynda Moseley, Diva Designs
109.  Grace Danel,  Grace Beading
110.  Lois Moon, Que Onda Quitman

111.  Agnes Shapiro, Beader Bubbe 
112.  Terry Carter, Tapping Flamingo 
113.  Judy Glende, Judith B. Designs
114.  Mary Ellen Parker, Bee Tree By Me
115. Barbara Bechtel, Second Surf
116.  Charlene Sevier, The Bead Dreamer
117. Alice Craddick, Alice's Beads and Baubles 
118.  Cory Celaya, Art With Moxie 
119.  Ronda Adams, The Ravished Heart 
120.  Sandi Volpe, Sandi Volpe Designs 

121. Anna Lear, The Laughing Raven 
122. Susie Hibdon, Vintagesusie & Wings  
123.  Amanda Austin, Sea Shore Glass 
124.  Jennifer Velasquez, Jen Judd Rocks 
125.  Hazel Ward, All Those Things 
126.  Brenda Salzano, Salzanos 
127.  Dee Gordon, Runako Designs by Dee 
128.  Anna Denisova, Anita-M 
129.  Margaret Saari, Mags-Jewelry

130.  Genea Crivello-Knable, Genea Beads 
131.  Penny Neville, Copper Penny
132.  Angela Blasingame, Hopemore
133. Helena Fritz, Beadwork by H's Blog
134. Stephanie LaRose, Confessions of a Bead Hoarder
135. Stephanie Haussler, PixyBug Designs
136. Diane Cook, Rosa & Josies  
137.  Maryse Thillens, Glass Bead Art
138.  Jennifer Pride, Jewelry by J.P.
139.  Shannon Chomanczuk, For My Sweet Daughter

140.  Lisa Godfrey, Bead Happy
141.  Heather Pyle, Welcome to My  Muse
142.  Regina Santerre, Regina's Writings
143.  Liz DeLuca, Creative Arty Facts
144.  Sig Wynne-Evans, Beaded Bear's Nonsense
145.  Loretta Carstensen, Loretta's Boutique
146.  Raida Disbrow, Havana Beads 
147.  Amber Dawn, Inventive Soul 
148.  Shelly Graves, Stars Dance With Me  
149.  Jess Italia Lincoln, Vintaj Blog 

150. JJ Jacobs, Coming Abstractions
151.  Carrie Tahquechi, Carrie T
152.  Staci Smith, Staci Louise Originals
153.  Katarzyna Kwiatkowska, Quiet Area 
154.  Ema Kilroy, Ema K Designs
155. Magdalena Sikora, Poranna Gazeta
156.  Nicole Keller, Nicki's Reef
157.  Ann Rishell, My Critical Eye
158.  Noemi Baena, Fire, Metal, and Color 
159. Christa Murphy, Adventures of One Beady Woman 

160.  Barbara Blaszczyk, Labotorium Flory
161.  Collette Collins, Firefly Myst
162.  Carola Greiser, Polymer Clay Shed
163.  Joanna Kopijczuk, Bizuteria z Filcu
164. LeAnn Weih, Summers Studio 
165.  Cassandra Watsham, Design by Cassandra
166. Anna Motz, Stunning
167.  Shea Zukowski, Gr8findings
168.  Susan Kennedy, Sue Beads
169.  Lisa Boucher, Lisa's Clay Happenings

170.  Hope Smitherman, Crafty Hope
171.  Alison Crenshaw, Beads by Earth Tones
172.  Dorcas Midkiff, Wondrous Strange Designs 
173.  Melissa Rediger, Sea of Glass 
174.  Marina Dobrynina, Savon Feutre  
176.  Menka Gupta, Menka's Blog
177. Patsy Evins, Patsy Evins Studio
178.  Cherrie Fick, En La Lumie're
179.  Suzette Bentley, Ellie's Bijoux

180.  Molly Alexander, Beautifully Broken Me
181.  Lyn Foley, Lyn Foley Wearable Art
182. Tara Plote, The Newbie Beader's Blog
183. Natalie Schuetz, Natalie S Perlen 
184. Kim Hutchinson, Running on Ink
185. Haley Frank, Wide Eyed Smilin 
186. Grace Caputo, Suddenly Last Summer
187. Marie-Noel Voyer-Cramp, Skye Jewels 
188. Erin Siegel, Erin Siegel Jewelry 
189.  Janea McDonald, Organized Chaos

190.  Kristi Evenson, Colie Bug & Co.
191.  Linda Inhelder, Must Haves Jewelry
192.  Hilary Frye, FryeStyle
193. Whitney Lassini, Whitney Lassini
194. Nancy Schindler, The Rabbit Muse
195. Pam Brisse, The Blue Between
196. Beth Bricker, Vintage Sweets
197.  Ruthie Stickney, Rose Works Jewelry and Gifts
198.  Rose Noble, Lady Noble Designs
199. Karen Williams, Baublicious

200.  Claire Maunsell, The Next Bend
201.  Christine Damm, Stories They Tell
202.  Kerry Bogert, Kab's Creative Concepts
203.  Wendy Blum, Sand & Sea Designs
204.  Juli Cannon, Julsbeads
205.  Jenny Robledo, La Dona Boutique
206.  Krista French, French Elegant Jewelry
207.  Pam Krinski, Ewa Beads
208.  Melissa Meman, Melissa Meman, Art, Life, Love
209.  Dana Jones, Dana's Jewelry
210.  Shirley Moore, Beads and Bread

The next party's sign ups begin August 1-3, 2011.  Don't miss it!

Thank you so much to Lori Anderson for hosting and organizing this event!  Give her some love on her blog Pretty Things.
 

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

84 comments:

  1. GOR_GE_OUS!!!! I love that you combined her elements with yours so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous necklace!! And congratulations on your new website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stunning necklace, I like it a lot!
    And all the best to the new website, looks very good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - Very cool! I love how you made the bigger pieces all work together. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and i really love your earthenoxide shop...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool necklace! I really like the asymmetrical design. Perhaps not so strange considering I myself am not good at all at asymmetry...

    And good luck with your new website! It looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful - and I love your key and key plate pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job Melanie!! I have been looking forward to seeing what you made with what I sent you and it looks amazing. So unique and I love how you put the focal on the side. I just posted what I made with your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece Melanie!! I love what you added and how well they go with the focal you receieved. Congrats on the new website!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your necklace, Melanie, I could never make something like this, so colorful, but toned down, so many heavy nice beads, simple ingredients but such a stunning piece at the end. I really love it.
    Maybe we can meet up on my next trip to the US (I always have to go to Detroit).

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting necklace you created! Love the unusual design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your keys are absolutely amazing, I've never seen key pendants quite like that. You're very talented and it shows on your piece. fab. ^_^ Virginie ViviBijoux.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dark and sophisticated and lovely colors-- very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Melanie I have finally been able to get back to your blog! For some reason it was blocked on my computer!!! I love what you made and will definatly check out the new site when soup is over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous design. LOVE the key.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you made!! Melissa makes the best beads!! I am just starting to use mine, I simply don't want to part with them! lol. I am absolutely going to go check out your new website!! {after I visit all these blogs!!} lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your website is now on my must see list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning!! such a mystical piece, I love the incorporation of the focal with your key..lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cool edgy piece! I skipped over to EarthenOxide and it rocks! I see tons of potential there and already love the existing pieces. Have an awesome party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the wonderful beads in your stash! Wonderful design showcasing your new beads with hers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous - love the asymmetrical design and that ribbon and your new pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Melanie this necklace is so gorgeous! You and Melissa were a great match, I love the combination of your beads together. And your new Earthen Oxide pieces are SO COOL! I'm going to have to get my hands on some soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very dramatic - What a great combination of work - I ant some of the Earthen Oxide pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dang it, Melanie! You know that I am a sucker for anything with a key! Must stop hopping now to go check out your new site - love LOVE the name (p.s. I am still simmering my design team pieces...stay tuned - there will of course be a key in there - I can link to your new site!!!)
    I love the way you made this asymmetrical. The purple is so regal. Totally droolworthy!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful necklace, love the colors! And very cool keys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely necklace - I love how all the pieces from the soup and your pieces came together! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a show stopper! A Night out with this fancy Petticoat and all eyes would be on you! Really really Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. an incredible combination of pieces...goodness me, i can't stop staring!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great necklace, I love the way you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the design. I could tell right away it was Melissa's beads. She is awesome. The colors are very pretty with the black.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very creative design & your new shop is wonderful i'll be checking in often i love unique components for my own creations.Good luck with your new shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a cool piece! I love the key and the colors in the whole thing. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely Positively Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your pieces and her beads... your talent... really made this soup mix really come together... Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very dramatic necklace. I love the design. Good Luck with Earthen Oxide.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous ceramic and bead ingredients! Love how you added the fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  37. gorgeous necklace, it makes a bold statement!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! I love this! You really made yourself one gorgeous piece of jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  39. #209 here...awesome, good work

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOVE it! And I love your new site (emailed you my favorite!). Going to have to head back to it soon after I finish hopping hopping (gasp) hopping..

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this, such a strong necklace. I am loving the key and plate with the glass beads,they tie in so harmoniously, congrats on the new website.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Melanie! Great necklace - like its style! And your new EarthenOxide components are perfect! Cool name, cool store.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow an almost mystical look to your necklace, makes it unusual.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  44. A match made in Bead Heaven!!!
    Those elements are PERFECT together !
    A Bold and Beautiful design!!!
    Love It !!!
    m.e. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am enamored with your piece and your keys are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I LOVE Melissa's beads.. they are so pretty and you did a great job showing them off. Now I am going to have to check out Earthen Oxidize... it looks like a dream come true, and I will most likely be wiping drool off my face.... Love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow...what an amazingly dramatic piece! In my Top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Woohoo Melanie!! Love the new Key with the plate dangles. It really helps to balance the long shape of a key. Coated they still look old but I like the shiny aspect a lot. Those lampwork beads are fabulous so I am now off to visit your partner's sights. Hope your show goes great today!

    ReplyDelete
  49. PS your soup is awesome, dark and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Gorgeous necklace! Love your new work too!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gosh, that is a really COOL design! And I love the new business venture. Those are some really neat keys.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wonderful necklace! I always love to see the new stuff you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your necklace is pure awesome sauce~ and I am totally crushing on your new keys. Kudos in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, you had yourself a double challenge. Combining your soup and the soup's focal piece with your focal piece. What an amazing piece. I really liked the way you put all of the elements together to create such a wonderful necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  55. You are very skilled at striking a "balance" with asymmetry. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  56. So beautiful friend, I love this necklace & what you did with your SOUP! Your technique on the lock & key is AMAZING!!! I'll be back to check that out more carefully.
    Simple Stunning!!! ;)
    Thanks for sharing...
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  57. Melanie, OMG, you about took my breath away with this! I love Melissa's glassy goodness, but combine that with your coolness, just drop dead!

    ReplyDelete
  58. The whole thing is fantastic - but I LOVE your new key!

    ReplyDelete
  59. OOOOOOOOOOOO! Melanie--you totally rocked your design! great combo of her beads with yours!

    xox jean

    ReplyDelete
  60. Gorgeous! I love that lock and key! I'm definitely going to have to check out your new website!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love this necklace. The pieces you create are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow what an awesome piece. I absolutely love that key plate... such a great idea. Well done!

    Karyn
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
  63. It is gorgeous and I love the keys! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Very artistic design. Really like the lock key aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Yeah, what they all said, and then some! Love how well your new pieces coordinated with the focal bead. This is a stunning necklace. You can definitely be proud of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  66. OMGOSH I love this necklace! Will we be seeing some of this earthenoxide in Southfield? As always your designs rock!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Very cool necklace. I love the richness of the colors and the textures.
    Bead Happy!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  68. What a fun necklace! It's colorful, but not too bright. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  69. OH, you've really done your soup justice. It's a fantastic work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  70. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your asymmetrical construction!!

    ReplyDelete
  71. saving some of the best for last. I always love your style so I knew I would like whatever you created and I was right- The purple cord looks wonderful with the glass pendant and of course you gotta have the key- can't wait to visit your latest stuff for sale.
    Alice's Beads aznd Baubles

    ReplyDelete
  72. Gorgeous! I was really excited to visit your blog and see what you made. I love your work!

    I love how the necklace turned out. I love that one side is simple beautiful silk and the other is flowing with beads! Love the lampwork and your components!

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love the balance of this piece

    ReplyDelete
  74. Love what you've done with Melissa's beads - that big pillow beads especially is a stunner! Nice touch with the ribbon too. YOur new website sounds exciting! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Love the design of the piece...great bead also.

    ReplyDelete