January 16, 2011

Studio Tour Sunday: Pale Crackle


 This past week in the studio, I saw lots of great new things come out of the kiln.  I was busy developing new things to send into the annual Interweave magazine special issue Beads 2011.  I tried new glazes, new combinations, and many new designs.  In a way, I was sad to gather up the best of the best and ship it away.  But it has given me several new lines that I will be excited to explore and show you in the upcoming few months.  One of the new things that I am excited about is the addition of pale, crackly glazes to my palette.  Working with pale and white tones is a real challenge for me, but I love the look of these glazes so much, I am eager to play with them more.  Above are some simple heart pendants I glazed for test tiles, which I love (and can't wait to do things like wrap them in Vintaj brass).  Wait until you see some of the more complex things I have made with these glazes!  I'll show you later this week...
 
That's what has been going on in my studio this weekend.  Check out some of these other artist studio stops:

A Bead A Day
To get through the cold and snowy winter, Lisa is focusing on sunny beaches! If you have any "sunny" jewelry pieces you would like to have showcased, stop on by A Bead A Day! 
 
About.com Jewelry Making
Finally, Tammy's latest jewelry book is out on bookstore shelves! 
 
Art Bead Scene
ABS announces the January monthly challenge. 
 
Beading Arts
Cyndi thinks that the new year is a good time to look into bead and jewelry education! 
 
Beads & Books
Michelle shares a list of beading and jewelry-making challenges and contests with deadlines through the end of March. 
 
Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmi turns a clasp into a necklace pendant. 
 
Cindy Gimbrone, The Lampwork Diva
Cindy offers up a free project based on a treasure from the Sisterhood. 
 
Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Old keys, resin, and cold connection techniques combine to create Melanie's unique new pendants 
 
Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Lorelei tries her hand at an online class to make a Wire framed Bead- a meager attempt but fun at any rate! 
 
Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Jean has reviewed a fascinating, beautiful book, 500 Enameled Objects. If you are curious about this form of beautiful jewelry and object crafting, check out her review! 
 
The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Want to win a FREE class from Beaducation? Check out this week's installment of Thursday Giveaway for your chance to win!

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments: