January 15, 2011

Response Saturday: Perforated Metal

 This week I experimented with some perforated metal that I have had for a few months.  You can see it peeking out in the pendants shown here. Frankly, I don't remember where I got the sheet.  It is brassy in color but that is just a paint surface.  I like the effect when I sanded some of the paint away, leaving a worn, bi-metal look.  It has these tiny holes in straight lines with larger holes in between like a grid.  I cut on the tiny holed line with scissors and it left a postage stamp sort of edge which I really like.  It is both delicate and industrial at the same time.  I paired the metal with a resin coated square and an antique watch face that I painted with alcohol inks and one of the resin coated washers from last week to make the pendant above.

For this pendant, I stuck with the Vintaj Arte Metal pieces which I sanded with a rough nail file for a nice effect. Then I riveted some of these pieces together. I like the mix of brass and black metal. 

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the way you made all these things go together... with ink and paint and roughing up the edges. This looks like something old world but with a contemporary edge. You are dynamite, Melanie. I just hope I can rise to the bar that you set! Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete