January 22, 2011

Response Saturday: Hammers and Paint

 This week I didn't have a whole lot of time to play with new things.  I have been working on orders and filling up the website, and I spent some time playing around with designing jewelry.  But I did get to do a little bit of experimenting.  My goal was to use the various hammers I have to make some textures into metal and bring out the markings with paint.  Above are some of my first experiments with different hammers.  The two side ones did not feel very successful to me.  They are too subtle.  I guess they will make nice backgrounds when I add more to these, but hardly seemed worth the effort.  I do like the top and bottom cross hatched ones though.  I like how well the top one took the green paint and the bottom one has some nice contrast with the brass metal and a silvery paint. Those are worth exploring!  I felt like these were all too subtle, so I decided to play with some metal stamps next.
Again, pretty subtle.  And I had a hard time getting a solid stamping, so I just made leafy textures over the whole surface.  Kind of nice detailing, but I am not sure I am loving it.  I'll find something to do with these, though... they are good for layering.

After I applied the paint and wiped/sanded it off, I wanted to use something clear to seal the colors.  I used Diamond Glaze but am not happy with how shiny it is and the texture it left behind.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a wax or easy to apply sealant for just a little extra protection for metal?  I am tempted by Renaissance Wax but have never used it and would love to get a recommendation for it because it is a wee bit pricey for something I don't know about.  Or have you used something similar... any ideas?

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting idea! I like the results with the stamps...very pretty! I first used Johnson's Floor Paste Wax to protect finishes on metal which worked okay, but I think the Renaissance Wax was by far superior and worth the price (a little goes a long way!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. Renaissance Wax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renaissance Wax is amazing stuff. I use it on almost every piece I make. I use Johnson's on my my larger pieces... Buy the small can the first time and I'll bet you buy the next size up the second time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great experiments! I like the way you think. Renaissance Wax is the way to go. A little does indeed go a long way. I thought it was pricey but it is really worth it. I dries quickly and leaves a hard finish that doesn't diminish color in any way.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the top left bluish one best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely good for layering! They are quite lovely. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always just used Johnson's paste wax. You can use it on metal, unglazed ceramics, wood, leather. I'll have to try Renaissance wax. Where do you get that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the top left one the best, too. It kind of looks like water drops.

    I have used Renaissance wax, but find that it does rub off on anything that touches skin. I like ProtectaClear. They have a semi-gloss version if you don't want gloss. I use it all the time on copper and brass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon LeVart recommended permalac spray in her tutorial for metals. I love it. I then coat with Renaissance wax if it is something that will be against the skin, like a bracelet. I will keep the paint from coming off and doesn't add shine like diamond glaze. I have been doing a lot with the diamond glaze this week but I am not minding the shiney shiney.

    ReplyDelete