January 29, 2011

Response Saturday: Enamel Spray Paint on Filigree

 Here is today's colorful Response Saturday sampling.  Filigree pieces that I spray painted with enamel paints!  What a great way to bring a little color to standard metal supplies.  I painted over silver, copper, gunmetal, and brass filigree pieces, with lots of different effects.  I think I like the top row, which has a layer of white spray paint under three transparent colors.
 Here are a few bigger pieces.  I am surprised how much I like the white.  I am not a big fan of white anything, but it makes it look really clean and antique.  I think the white filigree would be great with some of the pale crackled glazes I am playing with lately.
 To accomplish this week's experiment, I raided my brother's extensive spray paint collection that sits in my basement.  Nice, huh?
 I used all Testors enamel spray paints.  I guess they dry a little harder than other spray paints but they take longer to dry.  Not a big problem on such small items.  I think most of these paints were purchased in hobby stores, where they keep the mini car and model kits.  When you find them in that section, you can find some great metallic and transparent finishes.
 I made a colorful mess out in the sunroom on a cardboard ikea box!
I really love the filigree ghosts that were left on the cardboard.

Well, these are just parts, but it is something I have wanted to try for a long time.  I am sure they will be popping up in some designs soon!

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

11 comments:

  1. Those are really cool! What a neat way to make custom components. Looking forward to seeing how you use them in jewelry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so gorgeous!!
    A stupid question: Did you have to heat them after spraying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone!

    Mags, that's not a stupid question. It is confusing because of the term enamel, but it is not the kind of enamel that needs heating... it's a type of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Melanie, thank you :-D
    I might try that then, one day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love the blog, some great ideas for my jewellery making, will certainly look further into earthen wear beads think there is great scope. I am a little amazed as I thought I was quite knowledgable on the world of beads considering the range of beads I have sourced in the past great to learn something new from a fellow bead lover thanks if you get time check out my bead lover blog and lets keep sharing the love! www.beadlover.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun. Also looks faster than what I'm doing--painting by hand. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do that too but I don't have spray paint.
    What a collection!! I think it is more then the stores have! Nice colors you have chosen!
    Cilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. How brilliant -- that's what I love about all these wonderful jewelry blogs. Never in a million years would I have thought to use spray paint on jewelry, but it makes perfect sense and I love your effect!

    ReplyDelete