January 20, 2011

Resin Windows and Lima Studios Resin

Before the holidays, I was sent a sample of Lima Studios resin* available at Lima Beads.  I wanted to make some pieces for their gallery showing some ideas for combining some of the Earthenwood beads with window cut-outs that they have started to carry.  So I made these components above with the resin, which I mixed with a little ink for color and some Pearl Ex for shimmer and color.  I used contact paper to cover the hole, and set a small key or lock or watch part in the window before filling with the resin.  When the resin set up, I took the contact paper off to reveal a transparent window!  The back of the pendant where the contact paper was attached looked a little dull, so later on, I added just a little more clear resin to that, which shined it right up. The Lima resin was great to work with... very clear and nicely flowing.


I used the Escutcheon and the Oval Window (both beads that Lima Beads carries) to make this necklace.  I added some additional Earthenwood pieces, like the new Victorian Oval links and the little Clock Links, which are also new.  I also threw in some of my new Shimmer Keys and washers. I had a great time working with the resin and all of these new things!


*FTC compliance disclosure: the '*' items mentioned in this post credited to Lima Beads were provided as a promotional gift for review or design purposes.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! I've been dreaming of how cool it would be if you could do this--I've wanted to do this with metal window pendants. Which I haven't made yet. Have to put Lima on my list. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very stunning. Melanie, you are a such a delight. Every piece you make I want to have. And your color palettes are superb. I didn't know that Lima had resin. Will check that out. I have tried them all. Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many resins on the market today. I remember just about five years ago you could never find it.

    I like your necklace and how all your pieces looks so great together.

    ReplyDelete