December 18, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Thanks for Christmas

With the holidays upon us and my Christmas spirits at an all time high, I wanted to include a holiday song in the Song Lore series.  I was pondering all of my options, when at the Detroit Urban Craft Fair, during tear down, I heard a Christmas song I had never heard before.  It sounded like XTC!  Upon further research, I discovered it was XTC in a form called Three Wise Men.  Apparently they recorded a holiday album sometime in the 80's.  The song I heard is "Thanks for Christmas" which, in typical XTC fashion, provides a humanistic and all-encompassing perspective that I find endearing.
I knew I wanted to use the word "thanks" to create some gifty items.  So I created some little "thanks" tags out of black Apoxie resin clay, using a rubber stamp.  I added some silver RubNBuff to the tag above and used it as a tag on a pillow box.  I would love to receive a gift wrapped like that, wouldn't you?
I have had these gorgeous Evergreen Glass Pearls* from Auntie's Beads sitting on my desk for a few weeks now.  They are large pearls, about 16mm at the largest.  And when I opened the box, I immediately thought they would make a nice wreath ornament.  So I made one!  I wired one of the "thanks" links to the wreath (this one painted with gold Rub N Buff).  I thought it needed more detail so I added a tiny leaf charm and some deep red pearls to resemble a holly leaf and berries.
I loved the way the green glazed leaf and red pearls looked!  How have I never thought of this great holiday combination?  Especially when paired with brass filigree!  So I wandered off track, but still in the Christmas spirit to create this:
I think this is a very elegant holiday look, with a twist of nature.  I have listed this necklace in my Etsy Galleria and I am pretty sure I am going to have to make a few more (one for me, one for mom, one for...)

*FTC compliance disclosure: the '*' items mentioned in this post credited to Auntie's Beads were provided as a promotional gift for review or design purposes.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. What a great song. I love offbeat Christmas songs with a nice melody and happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete