December 11, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Rook

I was a little at a loss for this week's Song Lore post, as I have been preoccupied with the holidays and getting ready for my trip and taping of Beads Baubles and Jewels.  But then I recalled that as I was making the piece above for my BBJ segment, I was humming along with the song "Rook" by XTC. The centerpiece of the necklace is made from an antique store find: a playing card from the game Rook with a beautiful drawing of a bird, which I glued to an old poker chip and covered in resin. The rest of the necklace is made from additional old game pieces such as bingo chips, smaller poker chips, and a checker.  I would love to make another version of this with a rook chess piece to match the song a little more, even.
I am a little sad that I have run out of steam on this project so near the end.  It's really just that I don't have the time to devote to it, even though I would really like to explore more songs.  I have a list of songs I would still love to have inspire me, so I will likely continue this line of thought another time without the pressure of the self imposed deadlines.  While I am not feeling like I am experiencing a creative block (just a lack of time) I do find myself relating to what Andy Partridge had to say about the writing of this very song:

“I was frozen with writers block. Then suddenly this song came out. I was really frightened. I mean, I couldn't even finish the demo because I was in tears. It felt like seeing yourself in a mirror and recognizing your own mortality. Maybe it's something in the chord changes. I don't understand the lyrics, which is rather exciting.”

I love that it moved him and he didn't even know what his own song was really about. Maybe he understood it later, or maybe it was always a sketch or an exercise to get him to another point.  Sometimes one has to just work through these things, not fully understanding them, to get to the next destination in the creative journey.


"Rook, Rook, By hook or by crook
I'll make you tell me what this whole thing's about!
Crow, Crow, Why can't you show
If that's my name on the bell?

On the wings of night, I fly too, above field and stream
My head bursting with knowledge 'till I wake from the dream
If I die and I find that I had a soul inside
Promise me that you'll take it up on its final ride"


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment