December 4, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Bottle It Up

I bought this box of tiny bottles at an antique market a few months ago and have been dreaming of what I could make with them. They are watch maker's supplies...tiny bottles filled with even tinier watch hands in all different sizes. I finally got a chance to sit down to play with them and came up with a pendant design that I am really proud of!  It uses a Vintaj brass butterfly and blank and some rivets to surround the bottle to make a pendant.

I added a gear for some bright brassy contrast and a small faceted glass bead for a little sparkle and to mirror the clear glass of the bottle.  I decided to call this design the Watchmaker's Apprentice and I think it is a very romantic and mysterious design.

As I was working with the bottles, the song "Bottle It Up" by Sara Bareilles came to my mind.  I think it is a sweetly romantic pop song that gets stuck in my head when I hear it.  And the thought of bottling up one's soul or love is a nice image...

"There'll be girls across the nation that will eat this up
Babe, I know that it's your soul but could you bottle it up and
Get down to the heart of it, no, it's my heart, you're shit out of your luck
Don't make me tell you again, my love"

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. WOW- That is the coolest. I love those kinds of finds. They also look really cool sitting in that box! Awesome pendant. Classy yet "steam punkish" Is that a word?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for Sara B! She is my GIRL!
    And these are so funtastic. Yes! I made up a new word for you! There is no end to your inventiveness Miss Melanie.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the necklace - how creative.

    ReplyDelete