December 23, 2010

Creepy Cute Gnome Ornament Project

 At some point in my collecting of ephemera, I received this sheet of paper cut outs, perhaps vintage German, of kinda creepy and cute and colorful gnomes.  They are sorta weird, but I sorta love them.
Recently, I made some little ornaments with them, cutting them into circles and gluing them to old poker chips and pouring resin over them.  The paper was really thin, so I should have treated them first with a sealant, but I sort of like the way the resin soaks through the paper and ages them even further.  This would be a fun project with any sort of holiday paper... you could recycle gift wrap and christmas cards and make all sorts of pretty ornaments!  They just need holes drilled through them and a jump ring and ribbon for hanging.  They would make great pins or pendants too!

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. That is so great! What a great use of materials you may have on hand. And I am all about happy accidents like resin seepage. My work is so not about being perfect and that is one way to show a handmade look!
    Enjoy the day, Melanie!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. I love creepy ephemera like this.

    If you further want to age them, give them a go with a fine grade sandpaper. They give them a matte finish and look like ancient glass.

    ReplyDelete