December 10, 2010

Beads Baubles and Jewels! Flea Market Finds


The second segment I am planning for my Beads Baubles and Jewels taping is this center pendant.  Basically, the theme is jewelry made from found objects that can be found at Flea or Antique Markets.  The pendant I am demonstrating is made from an old milk bottle tab, an old key, and a vintage watch face.  This design ended up using just about every tool and product in the studio, even though it is deceptively simple.  I will be demonstrating resin, eyelets, rivets, and micro fasteners (tiny nuts and bolts).  The really fun part was making the necklace samples shown, using a bunch of items I have been collecting from antique stores all year long.  I used old greeting cards, poker chips, game pieces, an old tea tin along with more milk tabs and old keys and watch parts.  I really enjoyed this!

I am actually really proud of myself for coming up with projects that don't involve my ceramics at all.  Not that I don't love my clay, but I think it is time for me to expand my skills, particularly when it comes to designing jewelry projects.  Someday, I hope to write a book, and I know I don't want to write about ceramics, so I think these skill building exercises are important for me to start to transition into the world of multi-media jewelry.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. I so wish we got this show in my area I would love to watch this episode. Those look amazing!
    Shannon C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on, Miss Melanie! That is such a dynamite pendant and I love that you are challenging yourself. You are my idol. Keep on doing what you are doing because I am a BIG fan!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete