November 28, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Jeane


 Welcome to the second Song Lore post this week, since I skipped a week.  It's a Smiths double header weekend.  Today's song is "Jeane".  I think I first heard this song as a Billy Bragg cover, actually, and then discovered it was written by Morrissey.
 
So, as a side track... when I started the Song Lore posts earlier this year it was a challenge to myself.  I wanted to make new work regularly and give myself the weekly goals.  But I was also going through so much emotional stuff at the time with the divorce and creating a new life for myself... I didn't really want to focus on all that stuff in my artwork.  I thought I would choose songs I love and they would provide a more distanced source of inspiration so I wasn't drowning in inspiration from my personal life. heh. Well that worked to some degree, as I have done a few purely fun songs that have been unexpected inspirations.  But for the most part, I ended up choosing songs that expressed thoughts I was having or things I was going through.  I realized this a few months into the project and just decided to run with it.  It makes sense, honestly, because the music I listen to is very much related to my emotions and memories and thoughts.  So eventually, in the last couple of months, I started specifically looking for songs to set the mood for things I wanted to make....still serving as inspiration, but a little less organically discovered than I thought they would be when I started the project.
 
So I have had plumbing done recently and was noticing how cool the plumbing parts look and wanted to create some jewelry components based on them.  I started looking for a song about plumbing and didn't have much luck.  But I did remember this lyric from the song "Jeane" about a sink, very cold and sad.  I won't say much more than that I have related to these words in my life, but not for some time now.

"Jeane, There's ice on the sink where we bathe
So how can you call this a home
When you know it's a grave?
 
But you still hold a greedy grace
As you tidy the place
But it'll never be clean, Jeane "
 
So I made my plumbing part components out of porcelain and I am pleased with them.  For the centerpiece, I made a classic four petaled bathtub faucet knob, which I want desperately for my bathtub.  Alas, the recent plumbing work included the plumber looking at the old leaky faucet in the bathtub and estimating that it would be more than I can currently afford to replace it, so I will be saving up for another time.
 
Here is a video for the Billy Bragg version of the Smiths' "Jeane"



Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment