November 27, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Ask

Well I ended up having to skip last week for Song Lore Saturday.  I'm just too busy with the holidays!  I hope to continue the rest of the year.  There are really only 5 left! Anyway, I hope to make up for last week with two song posts this weekend.  And there is a theme...The Smiths!  Before you worry that the music is part of an emo-filled weekend, fear not!  I am in very good spirits actually.  I don't listen to the Smiths too often anymore, they are just a bit too depressing.  They are almost a guilty pleasure.  I do adore them, but I did spend too many long evenings of my teenage years alone in the dark, sadly crooning along with Morrissey. I do think it is amazing music and he has some amazing lyrics that have really stuck with me over the years.  Here are some sketches I did for pieces inspired by the song "Ask".
"Ask me, ask me, ask me
Because if it's not love, then it's the bomb
That will bring us together"

I wasn't able to bring these pieces to life yet, but really enjoyed sitting at my kitchen table sketching them wile looking at images online.  I am strangely amused by the twisted idea of the threat of annihilation bringing people together, as a last resort, instead of love bringing them together.  I decided to create "love bombs".  I was looking at images of real missiles and bombs, which was depressing, so I looked up cartoon ones instead. Lots of cutesy anime and video game images came up, which is a regular source of inspiration.  I also thought of this image from the Green Day American Idiot album that I have always loved:
I actually think this would be a good line of beads.  Kinda fun, kinda punky.  What do you think?  Should I bring them to life in clay?

Here is a video for the Smiths' "Ask"


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. They'd be awesome in clay. I'm a massive Green Day fan :o)

    ReplyDelete