October 9, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: My Little Blue Window

 Art imitates life, they say.  So it is not surprising with all the work being done on the windows of my house in real life, the inspiration would spread into my artwork.  I started with these window pane pendants.  I was experimenting with a new white crackle/crawl glaze and I am so in love.  It's so crusty!
 And with all this recent window business, I have been singing in my head a favorite song by Elvis Costello, "My Little Blue Window"

"'Til now this was my view
But I'm counting on you
How am I ever going to make you see?
Nothing in this ugly world comes easily
I want you to be...

My lovely hooligan
Come by and smash my pane
'Til I can see right through
My little blue window"
So naturally, I wanted to fill in the windows with a glassy substance.  What better than Ice Resin with blue tint?  It worked perfectly!  I used a piece of contact paper on the back of the pendant, poured the resin, let it set, and the contact paper peeled off beautifully.  I can tell I am going to be using this technique more!

Well, I can't find a full copy of "My Little Blue Window" anywhere.  You can click on the link above for a sample of the song.  I don't want to leave you songless on a Song Lore Saturday, so how about another "blue" song by Elvis C?  (and not Almost Blue... that's too easy)  Here is Blue Chair by Elvis Costello"


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. oh, i love these! beautiful job... ice resin is so versatile, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so brilliant Melanie! I love that you used the contact paper. I will have to try that. Clever!
    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous. Love the way ICE Resin is used in such a subtle way. The perfect compliment for your gorgeous handmade beads! -- Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! I lovethat crackle, and that blue ice resin...a beautiful combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so very beautiful! I love the resin windows. I do agree, it is so subtle. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete