October 30, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Bones

 With all the craziness of the week with the new fence and the refinance, I didn't have a lot of time to work on a Song Lore piece.  I also wanted to pick a song that was kind of spooky to celebrate Halloween.  I didn't begin to seriously think about it until last night and I have a full day of fun activities today, so I improvised instead of getting out the porcelain and working on the ideas I had. I'll save that for another time... maybe next week!  Instead, I grabbed the shipment of epoxy clays that I received in the mail from Sherri Haab's store.  My inspiration was the song "Bones" by the Killers and I was thinking about ribcages and spines.
Also during the day, I had been cleaning and sorting through some of my silver to send to be scrapped (wow, the price of silver is high...good time to sell!).  I came across all of these curved sterling noodle beads that I had purchased for kits for a project I wrote.  I pondered what I would ever do with all of them. They also reminded me of ribcage bones.  I set that thought aside and brought it back out when I had the idea to use the resin clays.  All these things came together to create these four pendants.


While I don't think the top pendants are very successful as being inspired by bones, they do look like some kind of fish or bug or trilobite, which is neat.  I think the bottom pendants are more spine-like, but not really.  All in all, I don't think this was a terribly successful song interpretation, but it was a good experiment with the materials on hand.  I found the concrete, copper, and steel clays a little tricky to work with, as they have a very short work time (just a few minutes), so if I am going to use them, I need a solid plan. They all have great textures to them and a nice metallic sheen.  The black epoxy clay had a much wider working time, so I can see making something with that as a base and adding the other resin clays to it.  I am excited to be able to embed stuff into the clay, so I will likely be adding gears and hardware and tiny bottles and watch parts to create something next time I work with it.  Also, the black clay comes in a variety of colors, which could be lots of fun to play with and combine.
 
Hope you have a great Halloween weekend!  Here is a great spooky video for "Bones" by the Killers:


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments: