October 26, 2010

Rotten Veggies and Bananas

 I made a small batch of these creepy gross veggie pendants with the intention of glazing them with crawling glazes to make them look like rotten vegetables/old jack-o-lanterns.  I was inspired by this post about the old carved halloween turnip and thought it would be fun to do a few different veggies.  My brother said I should do a potato and that is my favorite one.  I'll be listing these on Etsy today.
 
Speaking of rotting fruit... ok, not really... When I have a small bunch of bananas (like 3 of them) that are getting really brown and spotty and smushy, I like to make this recipe.  I don't like bananas that are too soft, and while smoothies are a good solution, I'd prefer to bake these muffins with the fruit that is past its prime.  They are very tasty and have no sugar in them, which makes me happy.  Here is the recipe, which I got from Cooks.com:

BANANA-OATMEAL MUFFINS 
1 c. all purpose flour (may use half whole wheat)
2 tbsp. apple juice concentrate
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. mashed bananas, approximately 3 bananas
1/2 c. quick cooking oats, uncooked
1/2 c. low-fat milk
2 tbsp. tub butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
Combine all dry ingredients. Combine remaining ingredients and stir well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to moisten. Use muffin papers and fill 2/3 full. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Yields 1 dozen.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. Melanie these little 'creatures' are the coolest beads I've seen all week! You have the best imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I love the beads… Had to get mine fast - I just couldn't help it… I've had a thing for glazes that are looking not so "pretty" recently. SO thrilled to have one for my collection… :)

    ReplyDelete