October 27, 2010

Creepies and Kodama

 I made more of these creepy skulls and listed them on Etsy along with the rotten veggies and the fence pendants, all under a section called Spooky Things.  As usual, I am inspired by Halloween a bit late in the season and am making spooky things too late to really market them for the holiday, but I know there are others out there who love these things all year like me.  I just feel like it is a bit more acceptable to show these creepy things at this time of year without scaring people off.

 So the skulls are clearly inspired in part by the Kodama that Miyazaki illustrates in the movie Princess Mononoke. "A kodama (木魂?) is a spirit from Japanese folklore, which is believed to live in certain trees."  I love the creepy cuteness of Miyazaki's versions, with the rattling bobbleheads and little glowing bodies.  I came across a beautiful video with some footage from Mononoke yesterday, and I wanted to share it with you...



Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Love these! I have a stuffed Kodama from that movie myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really want all of those charms. They are so cute. And Royksopp Vs. Mononoki are two things that I love that go really well together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. I love what you make.

    ReplyDelete