September 4, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: We're Going To Be Friends

 September schooltime is the theme of today's Song Lore inspiration.  It is a charming song about school by the White Stripes: We're Going To Be Friends.  I first heard it, like many people, from watching the opening credits of one of my favorite movies Napopeon Dynamite.  This is such a sweet song that reminds me of childhood and the first days of school.

 "Fall is here, hear the yell
Back to school, ring the bell
Brand new shoes, walking blues
Climb the fence, books and pens
I can tell that we're going to be friends"
I decided to use some heavy iron wire to spell out a few words in classic cursive writing.  The words "you", "me", and "we" seemed to be a nice way to portray the song.  I added an old piece of a ruler and cut it down to make a charm to hang from the "we" for the middle of the necklace.

"Numbers, letters, learn to spell
Nouns and books and show and tell
At playtime we will throw the ball
Back to class, through the hall
Teacher marks our height against the wall"
 Finally, I used two Katiedid bezel components to hold bits of pencil tips and little scribbles on paper on looseleaf paper with pencil lead.  I thought that was a nice reference to not only the song, but to the movie too, since Napoleon liked to draw so much and it was a central theme of the movie.  It's something I relate to when hearing the song too, since drawing was such an important part of my youth and school years.  I will be filling the bezel up with some Ice Resin too!
Here is a video of the song as seen in the opening credits:







Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. how funny, just this morning I bought a couple of wooden rulers on sale because I thought I might want to cut them into charms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to express back to school. I love the pencil earrings!! So cool to see the wire words and love the old ruler pendant too. Very creative work!!

    ReplyDelete