August 4, 2010

Sprocket Gear Bracelet and Ant Art

Yet another set of projects I wrote for Interweave's Creative Jewelry magazine!  Clearly, the editors were in favor of some of my industrial pieces for this issue.  These started to slip out of the realm of the steampunk style I have been working in and move right into a mechanical and industrial inspiration.  I guess I make that distinction when the Victorian and ornamented elements leave and it is all gears and nuts and bolts, which is how these pieces come across to me.  That's the direction I seem to be continuing to head.

Here at home, it is hot.  I have done some yardwork and packed up the art fair stuff.  I am getting caught up on orders and trying to keep the house and studio clean while I work. The carpenter ant problem seems to be going away.  At least I am seeing dead ants all over the place, so I hope it is going away!  I ran across this really cool bit of video about ants today.  François Vautier built an ant colony in his computer scanner and scanned the ant process for 5 years.  It is quite beautiful.  But I am still planning to kill all of the ants here.  No ant art in this studio!

ANTS in my scanner > a five years time-lapse! from françois vautier on Vimeo.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Those earrings are perfect for a classier goth/industrial night out at the nearest goth club. If only Etsy existed in 1995, I could have worn better earrings with my rubber skirts, black hair, and awkwardly stacked shoes. Now you've got me all remembering back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, you cracked me up with that comment! I love it!

    ReplyDelete