August 28, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Holocaust of Giants


 Ok, remember the assortment of fossils I found at Bead Fest?  That is the physical source of inspiration for today's Song Lore post, along with a quirky song by Rasputina.  More on that later, first are some pictures of my process.  Nothing finished to show today...it's a mold making day.
 Above are some quick rubber molds I made of the fossils, because I am impatient and wanted them NOW.  Then I made the clay molds, because that's what I really want to work with.  They need to be sanded and detailed and dried and fired.  I did the spark plug as a clay mold, too, from a fired ceramic model pulled from the rubber mold I made last week.  These clay molds will work better for making altered spark plug pendants that look weathered and like fossils.
 Aw, terrible picture of some clay pieces I pulled from the rubber molds. I added little industrial details to them.  This will be much easier to do with the clay molds, as the pressings come out right away, where they have to get rather hard in the rubber molds before they come out.  Trilobites and ammonites above.
 And I made some hand sculpted little bone links with industrial details, too.  I am excited about these.  I have a new crusty crackly white glaze to try over a dark underglaze, and plan to glaze others in metallic pewter and bronze with the bone white porcelain exposed.  I will be adding bright neon pops of color for contrast and that industrial edge so these are not too dirty/dark/brown.
 
So I was looking for another song about fossils to inspire me while I work on my new series of mechanically inspired fossils that started with last week's spark plug project. I came across the song "Holocaust of Giants" from Rasputina, along with blog post about the song at Tor.com (which, by the way, has a regular blog series on songs that feature speculative fiction themes!)  I was familiar with Rasputina, as I discovered them while I was doing my Steam Week research and blogged about them then.  I am rather charmed by Rasputina, they are wonderfully strange but I have to be in the right mood to listen to them, and I don't really want to be in that mood too often.


Anyway, I think this is a really fun song and it has helped me visualize some of the things that I want to do with these fossils.  Stay tuned!
"When I was nine years old
Way back in Ohio
The hired man was digging up a well
On my father's land
He found a fossil there

It was a massive bone
And since then I’ve known
That a race of giants lived in the northern hemisphere
Ten thousand years ago they lived right here

It seems incredible
But yet it's the truth
That a fossilized and petrified
Calcified primeval brute

Was turned to stone
But he was not alone
There were hundreds of them walking on the sand toward river
Even giants think they'll always live forever"


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. I love the mechanical fossil idea. I've always loved fossils and machinery bits. Can't wait to see the glazed versions! Ok, so this song isn't exactly about fossils. However, it snapped into my brain while reading your post. The video does have some fossils in it. Also, the alternative title "Oil and Gold" hints at prehistoric times. It's soooo 80's and so dark new wave. youtube.com/watch?v=6bMM61Y5CEU. It's Shriekback, "Nemesis (Oil and Gold)".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    ooh thanks! wow, awesome song! So gloomy! hehe. I think I remember that from my days of watching 120 minutes late at night in the mid eighties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of making homemade fossils is so great. I didn't think of that idea. Now I can have all kinds of fossils. Thank you for sharing this post. It is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, I was making test runs from my fossil molds today too. I'm actually going to be doing candy colors with mine to start, lol! Can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was excited when you 1st posted the images of the fossils - what will she do with them, i thought? even more excited to see what you will do with the beads and pendants you make! i am sure i will come back for shopping!

    ReplyDelete