August 6, 2010

Needing Direction

 Alas, this is the final project I designed for Creative Jewelry which is called Finding My Way.  It is a very classic design, not overly complicated, and I think it shows off the Steam Stones and accents really well.  I love that compass design in the necklace, which is worn close to the heart. I like the mix of the dark pewter glaze, the rich natural brass, and the bone white of the bare porcelain.
I am having a hard time finding a direction for work today.  I had these grand plans of making all sorts of new clay things for Bead Fest but I took a good look at the orders and work I have in front of me and realized that  I leave in 12 days.  And 3 of those days will be spent at Construct.  So that is not many days to make clay and get it fired (on top of finishing my orders).  I think I have to give up on the thought of making new clay work for the show, sadly.  This was swirling around in my brain a bit yesterday, but I think it really struck me hard today.  The good news is that I will be able to work on "cold" and unfired work, like my mixed metal pendants!  I can work on those during Construct, too.  I think today I will set up a dry run of my half-display table (I am splitting the booth with Diane Hawkey) and see what I have to offer, and then get to work on finishing those orders and dreaming up some new metal things I can make. Hopefully, this will be a good direction.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Love the necklace! I need that compass to help me find my way right now. Good luck on preping for your show and getting your orders created. We left you a little something something on our blog if you have a chance to head over that way. Have a great weekend! Beth

    ReplyDelete