July 5, 2010

Sorting Projects

This morning I have enjoyed the quiet in the neighborhood.  There were lots of fireworks last night, so I guess everyone is wanting some peace for a while this AM.  Well, except the garbage trucks are out and about, which I didn't think would be happening because of the holiday, so I woke up suddenly from a lazy sleep before 9 to run out in my jammies to put the trash out.  eep!

Anyway, I was feeling like doing some sorting or organizing, and I remember being asked a question a few times recently that I didn't have an answer for:  "How many project articles have you written?"  I have had no idea.  When I first started around 2006, I kept a running list on my website of all of my press and I also kept a nice scrapbook.  But that got hard to update around and I finally just started stacking the magazines into a big pile, which has been my organizing method for the past two years or so.  I usually blog about the press that comes out, but sometimes I get too busy.  So I had no idea how many articles and I decided to make a spreadsheet to find out.  To make it easy, I just recorded the projects that I designed and wrote (not the extra press or work of other designers or the simple bracelet and earring designs without written instruction).  My total is right around 70 so far!  I must say, I am pretty impressed with myself! *pats self on back*


It was really good to go back and look at the last four years of published work and see how I have grown.  And I am now newly inspired to get designing and writing again for the future.
 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

6 comments:

  1. Wow - thats alot of articles. You should pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of articles! You should make a scrapbook of them all. I am just starting with the publications, but what I usually do is keep a copy of the publication in it's entirety and then I have a binder with page protectors in it that hold the project pages I have taken out of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. new pieces look fab! On online list of your writing (w/links) would be great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

    Peacockfairy, I tried to do that and succeeded for a while, but then life stuff happened, and i never got back to it. :( I did weed through my magazines a lot today, though, so maybe one day it will be easier!

    ArtSnark, Maybe I will put them up on my website, but I don't think I can link to many of them, because I think I'd have to scan them in. I wish I had the time. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my..love the goodies in the pic... :)

    ~ Laura (Moags)

    ReplyDelete