July 3, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: We're so Starving Review

Well, I figured it would happen sooner or later... I woke up on this Saturday morning without a Song Lore post.  Even worse, I am without a solid idea for a post.  I made it through over a half of the year without missing a week, with all that I have had going on!  This week I was busy making beads (...for you!....) and didn't get around to making new things.  So I figured I would do a recap with some of the pieces of the last year that I finished and never showed.  Many of my Saturday posts showed the raw clay, but I finished quite a few of those pieces and have glazed work to show you now.  So here you go:
 Above, from left to right: 
1.One of the finished "eye" pendants from the song inspiration A Thousand Beautiful Things by Annie Lennox.  I am pleased with how they turned out and I sold some of them at the show, too!

2. The broken pot pendant from the song inspiration The Wheel and the Maypole by XTC.  I glazed them all in this colorway, which is just how I envisioned it, and I just love how graphic and juicy the image is!

3. From The Heart of the House by Alanis Morrisette, this is the only house pendant I have left from the series.  Unfortunately, all the hearts I made to go in the windows were too big, so I sold them as-is, hoping people would find their own thing to put in the window.

4. This is the only birdhouse/bird pendant I have left from the Deathcab for Cutie song inspiration Talking Bird.  Clearly, we are seeing a trend of house imagery that I really need to return to.

5. Finally, the chained heart from Tori Amos' Crucify, which was Raku fired.

Above: And now one of the disappointments... Everyone was so excited about the Birdhouse in your Soul song inspiration (including myself!) but the end results just didn't work.  Above: Look how the birdhouse split in half during firing!  That was totally unexpected!  I guess the tension of that thin central wire was too much, and it cracked right in half.
Above: The "nightlight in the window" piece is better, but I didn't estimate the shrinkage well enough, so the lightbulb doesn't dangle in the little hole like I wanted it to do.

Above: The outlets and switches and canaries turned out ok.  I sold all the little electrical plug outlets.  I would really like to revisit this one and make some changes so that I can get the full set.
Above: The finished cloud from Bouncing Off Clouds by Tori Amos.  Honestly, I am still a little indifferent about this piece, but it is growing on me, and I think I should make something with it to make me like it more.
Above: I shall end with a finished pair of wings from Annie Lennox's Little Bird inspiration.  I still haven't molded the I Feel It All wings yet, though.

I'll still choose a song for today.  It is the beginning of the Panic at the Disco album Pretty Odd: a song called We're So Starving.  Sometimes when I sing along, which I often do, I sing "we were busy making BEADS for you!"  hehe.  I have been rather obsessed with this album lately, so I will be doing a real Song Lore post about one of the songs soon.  I just haven't been able to choose just one!
 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

7 comments:

  1. All delightful, even your failed experiments. But what I love about those happy accidents is that you find a new way to do something!
    Enjoy the day, Melanie!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that red glaze you've been using!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the birdhouse and the wings. Still loving how you are inspired by music lyrics. Very cool. Happy 4th. PS I am working on a design to incorporate my darling tea pot bead you gifted me!! exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first visit to your blog. I absolutely adore your work. I am pleased to be the 200th follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work especially this grouping! The way you share your "oopsies" (I like that better than fails) I am still in awe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun, delightful, cute and most of all inspiring.
    I love them all.

    ReplyDelete