July 10, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Pavement Cracks

 Today's Song Lore inspiration came to me over the course of a few gloomy, rainy, humid moments this past week.  It's funny how the rain can effect my mood so much.  I was feeling kinda sad and melancholy.  I have been wanting to work with new textures, as I am visualizing a lot of concrete, cement, and stone textures lately, based on another Song Lore post that will be coming in the future.  I was searching for songs about these things and happened upon Pavement Cracks by Annie Lennox.  Yep, good ole Annie to the rescue again!  This song formed the basis for helping me figure out my color palette for these new pieces.  I opened up the kiln today, pushing it to cool quickly, eager to see the new colors.  I love them!  They fit the mood of the song perfectly in my mind.  These will all become toggle clasps.  I think I'll call them Sticks and Stones, appropriate for the stony texture paired with the little silver twig toggle bar.  Look for them in my Etsy shop!
 
"The city streets are wet again with rain
But I'm walkin' just the same
Skies turn to the usual grey
When you turn to face the day
And love don't show up in the pavement cracks
All my water colors fade to black
I'm goin' nowhere and I'm ten steps back
All my dreams have fallen flat"
Today it is sunny and warm and I am feeling much more cheerful and looking forward to going outdoors!
 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. Oh if I had a million dollars I would buy all your stuff! I am in love! They are on my Christmas list for sure! I love the branches too!

    ReplyDelete