July 6, 2010

Experimentation

I'm experimenting with some different, more arty photo angles and cropping for the Etsy shop, just to try something new.  Also, today I had my friend Travis come over to experiment with molds.  He works with gaming miniatures, which I don't know that much about, so it was fun to talk with someone who approaches small items in a different way.  The miniatures have nothing to do with beads and jewelry, but they are on the same scale as what I work with, so I learned about different materials that I might be able to incorporate with my work.  I also learned some things about the materials I already work with. For instance...questions like "can the molding rubber I use be pressed on itself to make a two part mold?" (answer: kind of... it works but would work better with a release agent).  I am curious to hear about his experiments at home using his green epoxy resin clay in the molds, and maybe I will get to play with some of that next time.  I also made a few molds that I have needed to make and played around with some of the new Concrete Epoxy Resin Clay that I bought from Sherri Haab at the Bead & Button show.  Interesting stuff... shows some promise!  All in all, it was really great to take a break from production and my regular clay to brainstorm and try some new things!
 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. I like the photo at top of the page, it shows off the textures. I too have been thinking I should be more atysy with my photos, I tend to be very straight forward, and I think I need to loosen up photography wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo! I've been taking pictures of my jewelry outside on rocks, hanging from tree limbs. I'm not sure if this is a better or worse thing. Because they let us have so many pictures I also include the more straight forward pic on black and white back ground. Like I said I'm not positive if its better or worse to do it this way,but I like the way the pieces look photographed in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I looked at your etsy. I like the way your photographs look. It helps that the pieces are so fantastic! I think they would look great no matter how you choose to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the new pendants and links in your blog (and...because I can't help myself) throughout your shop. :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/earthenwood Very well done!

    ~Moags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indian Creek, Thanks...that's exactly what I mean... loosening up on some of the pics. Because what LissC says, they give us so many on Etsy, it seems like a waste not to use them all!

    Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete