July 20, 2010

Antique Mall Treasures



On the way back from our weekend trip to Columbus/Dayton, Ohio we stopped at "America's Biggest and Best Antique Mall...The Heart of Ohio" for a few hours. It was indeed a HUGE antique mall.  We love walking around, spending hours looking at old stuff.  Alex and I enjoy old tools and gadgets, particularly, and will pick up all sorts of things to figure out what they were used for.  I purchased a few things, shown above.  At the top, a collection of keys and locks, which I always have to pick up when at an antique shop.  I should have bought more!  I hope to use the really flat ones in some new work. The center picture is another purchase: a set of little cards with what looks like time zones on them.  I believe they are related to world globes and go on the top or bottom axis, but I am not sure why there were so many of these available.  The last picture was my really exciting find!  There was a whole booth filled with letterpress engravings!  I chose these because they had very dark and graphic lines and didn't have advertisements on them.  I love the architectural quality of them and how they can be used to connect together to form new designs.  These will be used in clay, and I am very excited to try them out!  So those are my treasures from the antique mall!

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE your purchases! Looks like you had a blast! Sounds like a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd known that you were going to be in/near Dayton. It would have been great to see you. Looks like you found some really awesome stuff. I should try to get over to that antique mall. It looks like there's some amazing stuff to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fabulous finds!!!!! It sounds like you know how to look for treasures! I can't wait to see what you make with these. I am a beadweaver but your pieces are to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! Can I go antiquing with you? Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top? I love the keys. Those are the best. Those cards are so graphic and cool, mysterious too. And letterpress. You had me at hello. ;-)
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love love love the letterpress dies! They'd probably work well with hot glass, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My God Melanie, you hit the mother lode! I love the keys and locks, but those letterpress engravings are awesome! Can't wait to see what you create with those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am de-lurking to tell you that I was just at a huge antique mall last weekend, and found tons of awesome stuff too! I especially love the keys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Mall is 40 minutes from me! I to love anything old and vintage, particularly old keys and vintage letter presses. Inspiration can always be found at an antique mall for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I'm gaga over the letterpress engravings. I want to go shopping with you.

    ReplyDelete