June 19, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Neon

"When sky blue gets dark enough
To see the colors of the city lights
A trail of ruby red and diamond white
Hits her like a sunrise"

These colorful charms came out of a clay playtime session using some scrap plastic sheets with a bunch of holes in them. I pressed them into the clay and YAY instant polkadots!  When the clay was wet, they looked just like Legos or toy building blocks. I wanted to make them colorful, but still sort of industrial, so I glazed them with the dark metallic glaze, wiped it off, and colored in some of the dots so they looked like neon lights in the darkness, or lights on a marquee, or traffic lights. They don't really look like Legos to me anymore, but now they remind me of Light Brite, which is a toy I had and loved as a kid. As soon as they came out of the kiln, I started singing Neon by John Mayer.
"She comes and goes and comes and goes like no one can
She comes and goes and no one knows she's slipping through my hands
She's always buzzing just like neon, neon"


 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. melanie,

    hi again,

    this is barbara [dat 2 winner from your 10 day giveaway]. i just wanted to drop you and note and let you know i love your new neon pendants. and you're right the first thing i thought of was my grandson's lego's.but, i think i lkie your color choices better. my mind just went wild with all the things i thought they would work in. congrats, on your article,you are quite talented...and, you inspire me and many others,that i'm sure of. thanks so much,for sharing your gift.
    lol
    barbara hopkins at
    nanniespiperdayle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are wonderful, I really love the colors!

    ReplyDelete